VMware Communities
Jocke1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation guest fails to restart or resume

Hi

I have a Windows XP  Client which is in a suspended state

1. When  trying to  resume: the screen  briefly shows the  'WMware logo '  as if it would try to resume . But the goes back to the  screen with the suspended guest

In the wmware log :

13:37:43.000+02:00| vmx| I120: Msg_Question: snippet -------

vmx| I120: DICT --- GLOBAL SETTINGS C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\settings.ini

2013-07-28T13:37:43.000+02:00| vmx| I120: [msg.checkpoint.restore.error] An error caused the restore operation to fail. Cancel the restore operation and correct the error, or discard the snapshot's state and power off.  The saved snapshot will not be affected.

2013-07-28T13:37:43.000+02:00| vmx| I120: ----------------------------------------

2013-07-28T13:37:43.000+02:00| vmx| I120: MsgIsAnswered: Using builtin default 'Cancel' as the answer for 'msg.checkpoint.restore.error'

2013-07-28T13:37:43.000+02:00| vmx| I120: MsgQuestion: msg.checkpoint.restore.error reply=0

2013-07-28T13:37:43.000+02:00| vmx| I120: Module Checkpoint power on failed.

--------end snippet

Looking at the C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\settings.ini  : the file is empty ! 

2. All option to Power off or  Shutdown are greyed out

Unfortunately  I recently   took a snapshot , but I can not  go back to this, Message  Unable to open snapshot file

Questions: I supsect the empty state of  C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\settings.ini   is a key to the problem. But what content should be in that file ?

Any input is appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default the settings.ini file is zero length and probably is not the cause of the issue.

If the Virtual Machine will not resume then you'll need to manually remove the suspended state.

Locate the folder containing the file that comprise the Virtual Machine and then with VMware Workstation closed, or at the least the Tab for the target Virtual Machine in the VMware Workstation GUI closed, delete the following files: .vmss, .nvram and .lck files/folders.

Next edit the .vmx configuration file so the checkpoint.vmState option shows: checkpoint.vmState = ""

Note:  Deleting the suspend state has the same effect as performing a hard reset of the virtual machine, or pushing the Reset button on a physical computer, in that any unsaved data in open applications is lost!  However if the Virtual Machine won't resume then I do not see any other choice to attempt to run the Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default the settings.ini file is zero length and probably is not the cause of the issue.

If the Virtual Machine will not resume then you'll need to manually remove the suspended state.

Locate the folder containing the file that comprise the Virtual Machine and then with VMware Workstation closed, or at the least the Tab for the target Virtual Machine in the VMware Workstation GUI closed, delete the following files: .vmss, .nvram and .lck files/folders.

Next edit the .vmx configuration file so the checkpoint.vmState option shows: checkpoint.vmState = ""

Note:  Deleting the suspend state has the same effect as performing a hard reset of the virtual machine, or pushing the Reset button on a physical computer, in that any unsaved data in open applications is lost!  However if the Virtual Machine won't resume then I do not see any other choice to attempt to run the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
ShadyMalatawey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi...

did u try that with another VM..?? or this VM only has that issue..???
If it's with many VMs..try to uninstall then re-install workstation..
I hope that helps..

Sincerely, Shady Ali El-Malatawey MCITP: Virtualization Administration 2008 VCP5-DCV/DT --- VCAP5-DCA/DCD @ShadyMalatawey https://virtualpharaohs.com
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Workstation is not going to resolve the issue of the OP! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Jocke1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for your answers

I tried to remove .lck but there was no such file

Removing  following files: .vmsd, .nvram had no effect on this error

Solution :  Commenting out  the checkpoint.vmstate in the .vmx file did the trick  as suggested by WoodyZ:s post

The options were still grayed out ,except  for 'Power On to BIOS'  (this one was previoulsy grayed) , but not anymore after removing   checkpoint.vmstate .

All I did was comment this line out and restart vmware

Thank you ! 

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jocke1 wrote: Removing  following files: .vmsd

Sorry, it should have been .vmss not .vmsd and if the Virtual Machine had Snapshots you'll need that .vmsd file back!

0 Kudos