VMware Communities
heinz_b
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation crashes in fullscreen mode

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating WS 6.5.2 on an 64bit Ubuntu host with NVidia graphics.

The installed client windows XP runs very stable. But when I switch to fullscreen mode,

opening the VM-Menu from the fullscreen toolbar and clicking on the toolbar is enough

to crash the whole VMware.

It seems that the client is still running, because after restarting VMware the client is still active.

Any hints ?

Regards Heinz

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Are the VMWare Tools installed inside the guest?

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
heinz_b
Contributor
Contributor

Hello AWo,

yes, the current VMWare Tools are installed.

After checking the logfiles in /tmp/vmware-$USER, I could see that an assertion in autoDrawer.c:255 causes the coredump.

I could fix the problem by replacing /usr/lib/libview-2.3.0.so with a newer version from

Is there a way to replace only the version accessed by vmware instead of overwriting the system wide lib ?

Regards Heinz

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I don't know....

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is a known bug and happens on 32 bits as well. Both in Gnome as well as KDE.

It's been there for quite a while and has been reported several times in the VMware forums.

Wish they would fix it as it can be annoying.

You already found the work around by restarting Workstation you can get back to your VM again.

It is only the GUI that crashes not your VM.

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

edit: Only now did i read your link to launchpad... If i was you i would wait for one of the next releases as it seems they HAVE fixed it, just not rolled it into production. It's not a really huge bug (provided you know the work around), but just annoying at times.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos