VMware Communities
philma1
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation and Citrix performance issue

I have the same issue with Workstation 15.5.2 on Windows. Running Citrix Workspace inside a Windows VM with 3D acceleration is not usable it's too laggy...

Anyone has fixed this ?

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: I have branched your comment from an old thread in the Fusion area into a new thread in the Workstation Pro area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
GGVM
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with Worksation 16 PRO 16.1.2 build-17966106

3D is enabled on VMware Workstation VM.
I can see in Task Manager that the VM is using my second GPU on my Laptop - Geforce 1050 with 4GB Video Memory.
My VM has 8GB RAM - 4GB are allowed to be used for Graphics.
The VM is using 6GB RAM.
CPU and Network are normal.
Ping is 50ms to the citrix Server.

Inside the VM: Citrix is very slow and laggy. Swich between application windows - 10 seconds.
I have tried on my laptop screen with 1920x1080 - no difference to the 4K Monitor.

0 Kudos
ThePsychochicke
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having the same issue with the same version (Worksation 16 PRO 16.1.2 build-17966106).

I shut the VM down, disabled 3D acceleration, and now Citrix is much more responsive.

Possibly issues with DirectX support on the host or guest - although more often than not disabling 3D acceleration seems to improve various apps (e.g. MS Teams)...

0 Kudos
ThePsychochicke
Contributor
Contributor

The link below specifies installing the "DirectX End-User Runtime"

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/16.0/com.vmware.player.win.using.do...

Searching for that found

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=35

Which says

Microsoft DirectX® is already included in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Server equivalents. This DirectX End-User Runtime does not change the version of DirectX, but does install a number of optional side-by-side technologies from the legacy DirectX SDK that are used by some older games. For a detailed explanation see https://aka.ms/dxsetup.

It doesn't mention Windows 10 as a supported OS... Some input from VMware would be great.

0 Kudos
jileto
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. I'm on VMWare WSPro 16.2.4; Win10 host; Win10 guest; 3D acceleration on on guest: 8GB (RAM) + 2GB (Graphics) on guest; WSPro configured to fit ALL VM memory into reserved host RAM; host has 32GB RAM.

I'm using Citrix Workspace 22.12.0 running in the Win10 guest.

To fix, I disabled "Enhance Pointer Precision" in the additional mouse settings everywhere - host, guest and the remote citrix machine.

That was the only scenario I tried.  I did not test the combinations, e.g. just disable on citrix (on in host, guest), etc.

0 Kudos