VMware Communities
btor
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation VM getting slower and slower

Hi,

One of my VMs under Workstation Pro 16 (which run under Win10) has been upgraded from Win10 to Win11 a year ago and got noticeable slower after that.  I use it as developing software so it involves a lot of CPU, disk and network ressources when working.  My development environment has still more or less equal resource requirements as it had a year or two ago. 

Dur to the fact that the VM became slower after the upgrade I decided to replace my computer.  I now has an i7 CPU with 40Gb RAM and two 512 Gb M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD disks.  Workstation has 24Gb of RAM available.  The new computer came with Win11 so now both the host and VM both has Win11Pro as OS.  However I was shocked to find that the development processes now became even slower than before!!

I have been using the VM for several years and upgraded VMWare Workstation every second year or so.  Its Windows has been updated from day to day with the latest builds.  It will take me a day or more to install all my integrated environment applets, settings, libraries and data on a new and fresh VM and I don't want to spend that amount of time if I'm unsure if it will solve the problem...

So I am very disappointed.  Does it exist any profiler software which can show me where / which processes are the culprit here. How would you pinned down the reason for this problem.  Thanks a LOT for any tip on this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor

It is not an answer to your problem, I can tell you that Workstation 17 is worse in that regard.  I do not know what is happening with VMWare, but chances are Workstation 17 is going to be my last. 

0 Kudos
2rien
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar experience, I also bought a new PC which made things worse.

You are not alone, search for instance "Poor support for Intel 12th gen processors"

What worked for me was to run VMware Workstation as Administrator.

2rien
Contributor
Contributor

Just found out the windows powercfg seems to be a solution.

Look at

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-16pro-on-alder-lake-system/td-p...

and search for powercfg

0 Kudos