VMware Communities
bofo
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation: USB Problem on Host after installing VMware Workstation

After installing VMware Workstation the Qualcomm Gobi 1000 WWAN Device (HP un2400) on the host machine is no longer working correctly. The problem occurs even with no virtual machines running. After removing VMware Workstation from the Host everything is working fine. The problem has been spotted on HP 2530p, HP 2730p and HP 6930p notebooks with the HP un2400 WWAN Device running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The WWAN Device is not used from virtual Machines.

I suppose that the VMware USB redirector driver is interfering with the HP un2400 module.

What can I do to use the HP un2400 WWAN Module on the same machine as VMware Workstation?

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try to roll back the USB root hub drivers to Windows originals.

See Workstation FAQ for details

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
bofo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately the Qualcomm GOBI Device installs a filter USB driver itself. The USB drivers are Windows 7 original.

I tried Parallels Desktop 4.0 and this seems to work fine in combination with the WWAN device.

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you need USB in your VMs ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
bofo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but I don' need to connect to the WWAN module from inside virtual machines.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

read Workstation FAQ - it has some info on dealing with USB upper filters

0 Kudos
NBA_VM
Contributor
Contributor

USB Problem confirmed!

I installed Workstation build 7.0.0-203739 onto a new notebook with Intel 5 series chipset. (i7 quad cpu)

I had installed the Intel Chipset drivers which worked perfectly until I installed the new VM Workstation version

Right after reboot I got following error:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory (Code 38)"

In result my mouse and other USB peripherals stopped working.

In device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers the two entries " Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34 and 3B3C were disabled.(btw, these drivers were digitally signed!)

An uninstall of workstation 7 and a reboot brought everything back to normal !

Being persistent I read that a roll-back to "Standard" Microsoft drivers might work. I reinstalled VM Workstation 7 and was able to reproduce the same problem.

Then I went into Device Manager again and selected "Roll Back driver"

I replaced it with "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" and everything was back to normal.

I do not know if this may cause functionality issues when running VM Workstation however.

This needs to be fixed though as I expect many people will have issues when they install the "infinst911autol.exe" (Intel Chipset drivers)

0 Kudos
sir_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same following Problem:

========================================

After installing VMware Workstation the Qualcomm Gobi 1000 WWAN Device (HP un2400) on the host machine is no longer working correctly. The problem occurs even with no virtual machines running. After removing VMware Workstation from the Host everything is working fine. The problem has been spotted on HP 2530p, HP 2730p and HP 6930p notebooks with the HP un2400 WWAN Device running on Windows Vista and Windows 7. The WWAN Device is not used from virtual Machines.

I suppose that the VMware USB redirector driver is interfering with the HP un2400 module.

What can I do to use the HP un2400 WWAN Module on the same machine as VMware Workstation?

========================================

Have anyone a solution for this problem?

Rigards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Simple fix: use Workstation 6.5.3 - its USB-implementation seems to more robust then the new implementation in WS 7

0 Kudos
sir_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hello continuum,

we need vmware workstation 7 for guest w2008s-r2 an windows 7. have you a another solutions?

regards,

daniel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

have you seen the USB related tips from the FAQ I made - see my signature

0 Kudos