VMware Communities
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation Pro - vthread Crash

2-3 times a day VMWare Workstation crashes with Unrecoverable Error vthread-8.

This seems to be a Workstation UI crash because the services are still running; I can even suspend my VM, reboot my computer and restore the VM where I was working before.

Looking through similar posts this seems to be a fairly common problem without an answer... though I did notice that a few recent posts were using a similar series motherboard to mine: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII

Though not unworkable this problem is very annoying!

Can anyone please help?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
WeigangHuang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you Neverlyn for your great help! We'll try to reproduce it with ASUS motherboard.

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any progress reproducing the error with an ASUS Maximus VIII series Motherboard?

0 Kudos
xindayu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Neverlyn,

Sorry that we currently have no such series ASUS Motherboard.

So we tried to reproduce the issue on another ASUS Motherboard Z97-K R2.0 instead but failed to reproduce the error.

After installed some software from your list and left VM running for days, we still failed to reproduce the issue.

Here is the software list we installed:

ASUS HomeCloud Launcher

Cisco WebEx Meetings

Adobe AIR

Android SDK Tools

Google Chrome

Guild Wars 2

ASUS GPU TweakII

LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3

Mozilla Firefox

McAfee® Total Protection

PlaysTV 

Raptr

Steam

VLC media player

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Z97-K R2.0 is a 5th Gen Socket 1150 running on Intel Z97 Chipset

Maximus VIII Extreme is a 6th Gen Socket 1151 running on Intel Z170 Chipset

The above hardware is completely different. When will you be able to reproduce our problem on relevant hardware?

As stated previously, you have two users with very similar hardware experiencing the same problem. Having to reboot my computer 3-4 times a day for the last few months is extremely frustrating!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am still experiencing vthread crash every few hours. When will relevant testing be done on your end?

Is there anything I can do to assist the process? E.g. some type of debugger or tool I can attach to your application to gather more info for you as it crashes?

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Neverlyn:

‌Does Workstation still crash if you run your system at default/stock clock frequency settings?

In one of your posts you mention you are overclocking.

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scillonian,

I have already tried setting everything to defaults in the BIOS including base memory and CPU clocks, but it makes no difference.

I have also updated the BIOS several times as they have become available and done the same with software drivers. I've also tried a few different Anti-Virus at the suggestion of one user.

Only VMware Workstation keeps crashing, all other applications are fine. Unfortunately, VMware Workstation is my most used application, which makes this problem very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello VMware Team,

I am still experiencing vthread crash every few hours. When will more testing be done on your end?

Is there anything I can do to assist the process? E.g. some type of debugger or tool I can attach to your application to gather more info for you as it crashes?

Your application is the only program exhibiting instability on my computer, this has been going on for months now!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation 12 Pro has been crashing on me 3-4 times a day for 5 months now!

When will this bug be fixed?

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌From other posts Workstation 12.5 is reportedly due for release on 8 September. Maybe it will contain a fix.

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, it didn't. Still Crashing!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some final feedback - this issue is now solved.

The problem was caused by ASUS Program: Game First III

0 Kudos