VMware Communities
urbane
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro/Player latest update 17.0.1 breaks network bridge connectivity

I recently upgraded my Workstation Pro and Player from 17.0.0 to 17.0.1 and on both occasions, updating the software broke the network bridge functionality. I think the network bridge driver is broken for this latest update and needs to be urgently addressed.

32 Replies
avzuquete
Contributor
Contributor

I have VW Player 17.0.1 installed over a Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2, OS Build 19045.2846. I have several VMs, one of them uses a physical wireless NIC on bridged mode. All the communications work EXCEPT (and this may be the root of all the problems) DHCP. Apparently, DHCP requests are not being forwarded to the NIC. It took me hours to figure out this single DHCP problem because I was in a network where I could not configure the net parameters without DHCP. At home, where I control everything, is where I found that single point of failure.
0 Kudos
avzuquete
Contributor
Contributor

I have VW Player 17.0.1 installed over a Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2, OS Build 19045.2846. I have several VMs, one of them uses a physical wireless NIC on bridged mode. All the communications work EXCEPT (and this may be the root of all the problems) DHCP. Apparently, DHCP requests are not being forwarded to the NIC. It took me hours to figure out this single DHCP problem because I was in a network where I could not configure the net parameters without DHCP. At home, where I control everything, is where I found that single point of failure. The guest OS is Linux.

0 Kudos
avzuquete
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, the origin of the problem seems to be the incapacity to change the NIC MAC address of the bridged interface.

Since I need the VM MAC address to be exactly equal to the physical NIC MAC address, I had to return back to version 16.2.5.

0 Kudos
robertogl1
Contributor
Contributor

Is this not solved yet? Almost 3 months have passed and still no update from VMWare...

0 Kudos
mark-reijerkerk
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the following:

1. Occurs in wired mode.
  2. IPV4 stack.
  3. Host W11 preview 25346, Guest W11 22621

Tried to make a new network but the outcome is the same

--- MR --- AMS --- NL
0 Kudos
mark-reijerkerk
Contributor
Contributor

I did some testing today.

First, I did a complete network reset in Win11.

After that I set up a local DNS server in a subdomain and I let my router's DHCP use that DNS server, now everything is working fine. 

A Win11 VM has Internet and can ping an outside host, traceroute is also looking good. 

Also the hyper-v server is running in that machine.

By the way, this message is edited in that VM to be sure 😉

--- MR --- AMS --- NL
0 Kudos
smadsen
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately the bridged network adapter breakage continues in 17.0.2

Update 3 May 2023: environment is Wi-fi only (no physical ethernet cables attached)

0 Kudos
TexasLabRat
Contributor
Contributor

Oh no!...really?

0 Kudos
mark-reijerkerk
Contributor
Contributor

I did not upgrade yet, but I did 1 minute ago.

The outcome, bridge is working fine. No problem whatsoever, how is your LAN configured?

--- MR --- AMS --- NL
0 Kudos
TexasLabRat
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded from 17.0.0 to 17.0.2 and Bridged mode is working!

0 Kudos
TexasLabRat
Contributor
Contributor

Correction: Bridged networking works for Ethernet connection on Version 17.0.2, but for not for WiFi connections!

Tried forcing Bridged to wireless adapter to no avail, on 4 different laptops. Same issue.

Uninstalled V 17.0.2 and reinstalled V 17.0.0 with default settings and Bridged networking works for both connected and wireless connections using same VM with no other changes.

So, there are still issues with Bridged networking in V 17.0.2!

I am running Ubuntu 22.004 guest on Windows 11 Pro host.

Br_Silva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good morning everybody!

Using wireshark I found the reason for the problem.

In version 17.0.1 update the network packet requesting IP is being sent in unicast, in version 17.0.0 the network packet requesting IP goes in broadcast, this is the problem of not receiving IP and not being able to navigate, I am using version 17.0.0 until they fix this flaw.

nu11secur1ty
Contributor
Contributor

This is a new decision with static IP, or just a bug? Yeah it works with static IP's but I'm still wondering, is that a new network design?

BR

0 Kudos