VMware Communities
Fpm2001
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 4.1.0 Black Screen when running GNS3 VM

I thought that this new update for VMware Workstation 14 was going to fix this issue, but apparently that wasn't the case. I still get a Black Screen when VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.0 run GNS3 VM.

I tried different scenarios, I even went form 12.5.8 to 14.1.0 and it still didn't work. Running it in 12.5.8 works!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Did you set the Hardware Compatibility of the GNS3 VM to version 14 when you were trying with Workstation 14.1.0?

0 Kudos
voidp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, from the GNS3 team:

VMware 14 broke my GNS3 VM! Learn the right way to install and configure GNS3 2.1 on Windows 10.

https://www.gns3.com/discussions/vmware-14-broke-my-gns3-vm-learn

0 Kudos
Fpm2001
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I went from the Default 9 to 12 and then to 14. That didn't help.

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload your logs via "Help"->"Support"->"Collect Support Data" ?

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cannot reproduce the black screen issue locally. Would you please provide more information for our further investigation:

1. Have you tried to install other VMs (Windows, Linux guest) on Workstation 14.1? Did you hit the same black screen issue?

2. What's the Host OS, the GPU type and driver version?

3. Would you please provide vmware.log (please get info from menu Help -> About VMware Workstation (log file location)  & vm-support package (Help -> support -> Collect support data).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Fpm2001
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the delay. I just tried to installed Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro and all I got was the same result, a black screen.

I'm running a Dell Ryzen 7 1800 with DDR4 16G Memory and a RadeonRX 580 graphics card with 8GB.

See attachment for vmware logs.

Keep in mind that 12.5.8 run fine with my system.

Thanks

0 Kudos