VMware Communities
tdacon
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 17: host USB devices not visible in guest OS

Just upgraded yesterday to Workstation Pro 17 and its version of VMWare Tools, from Pro 16; host USB and BlueTooth devices don't appear in the top-level VM Removable Devices menu item.

Host: Windows 11, fully-updated, 32GB ram

VMs: one Windows Server 2016, one Windows Server 2019, one Windows 10, all three fully updated and working successfully in this respect under Workstation Pro 16, all three failing to show the listed removable devices.

In the workstation's Edit/Preferences dialog's USB section, "Connect the device to the foreground virtual machine" is ticked.

In the VM's settings on the Hardware tab, USB Controller shows "Present". In the Connections box, "Show all USB input devices..." is checked but disabled, "Show Bluetooth devices..." is checked and enabled.

The removable devices drop-down menu shows nothing but:
    CD/DVD (SATA)
    Network Adapter
    Printer
    Sound Card

Known problem? Solutions? All help appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mgarrett1140
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. I have two computers with VMWARE WS17,  both running Ubuntu 20. When I plug in a USB device, (peripheral, serial device, sdcard,  USB stick etc.) I get the dialog box that asks if it should connect to the host or the VM, when I select VM, the device shows up in the removable devices, but the "connect" selection is greyed out, and the device does not connect to the VM. I have tried USB2.1 and 3.1 neither works. 

0 Kudos
tdacon
Contributor
Contributor

Tom, the OP, here: I sent a couple replies from my email client but don't know if they'd get to the right place, so here I am on the community.

The TL;DR on this for me was to do a repair on the VMWare Workstation Pro application, which fixed the problem. I discovered that fix myself while I was waiting for support.

Good luck,
Tom

0 Kudos
SAngeli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I don't know if what I write is relevant. I just installed VMWare Workstation 17, created a new VM Guest with Windows 11 and experience the same issue: I am not able to see in Guest VM USB devices when I conntect them to Host PC.

Thanks to the Interent I was able to find a solution. Please follow the steps below listed:

1. Power-down the VM Guest.
2. Go to the Guest VM main folder on your comptuer and search for the following file: <the name of your guest Virtual Machine>.vmx
3. Edit this file and search for a line that states: usb.restrictions.defaultAllow
- Most likely you will have it set to "FALSE"
4. If so, please change it to "TRUE"
It must look like this: usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "TRUE"
5. Save and close the text editor.
6. Start VM Guest and try it out. The first thing you will notice is a pop-up windows with a list of all USB devices, something you did not see before.

The issue is solved.

Hope this help...

Jan5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

That only froze me out, couldn't get access anymore, and had to install the whole thing again. I guess ill do without the usb connection.

0 Kudos
tdacon
Contributor
Contributor

This suggested fix didn't work for me either. But what did it was to go into Windows settings / apps, find the VMWare Workstation Pro app, and do a repair. That and a reboot fixed it for me.

0 Kudos
PapaGeek
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm and say thanks for what SAngeli shared.  My USB devices were grayed out on my setup but changing the false to true on the line usb.restrictions.defaultAllow = "TRUE" worked better than a cold beer on a hot afternoon.

Host: Win 11 Pro

Guest: Win XP Pro SP3

0 Kudos
PenguinBelly
Contributor
Contributor

Following this thread.  USB passthrough has been a hit or miss for me lately.  I am unsure who is to blame.