VMware Communities
dunger55
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16 - Windows XP Pro blue screen on boot

I've created a vmdx virtual drive from my old physical laptop hard drive.  I created a new WinXP Pro virtual machine pointed at the is vmdx but it does not boot into WinXP.  I get a blue screen.  I setup the vm with the same processor and ram settings as the physical machine, I removed all the extra usb attached hardware on the vm settings.  Attached is the latest vmware.log.  Please Help:) 

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@dunger55 

How exactly did you create the virtual disk from the old hard drive?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dunger55
Contributor
Contributor

I used the VirtualBox utility VBoxManage.

Here's the command line syntax I used:

VBoxManage convertfromraw \\.\PhysicalDrive1 "Z:\Virtuals\VirtualMachineXP.vmdk" --format vmdk

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@dunger55 

Which probably means that any driver injection that the tool carried out would be specific to VirtualBox. Have you tried starting the VM with VirtualBox?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dunger55
Contributor
Contributor

What should I use to create a virtual hd if not vboxmanage?  I don't see any tools in VMware to do this.

I tried using Virtualize Physical Machine but that needs access to the ADMIN$ share on the running old XP machine.  For some reason it can't access that share.  I'm thinking its because its an old machine and it uses smb1 instead of smb2, at least that is what Windows 10 tells me when I try to access the old XP shares over my network.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

VMWare has VCenter Converter for converting physical machines to VMs.

VirtualBox's vboxmanage only converts between disk types - it doesn't inject drivers that may be needed to boot the disk in the VM, which is why you're most likely getting the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen. XP is especially problematic in this regard, since it usually used hardware-specific disk controller drivers. Try following these instructions, they may let you make your XP bootable.

0 Kudos