VMware Communities
DaveT29
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16.2.4 not working on Ubuntu 22.04

I upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 and Work Station Pro stopped working.

I downloaded a fresh copy of 16.2.4 and reinstalled but I'm getting the same issue.  The release notes specifically call out the issue as having been fixed.

vmmon and vmnet won't start (it looks like the install script had compile errors)

Also a cryptic message from 'dmesg | fgrep vm' -

[ 133.905907] VMCI host device registered (name=vmci, major=10, minor=123)
[ 149.201974] vmmon: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[ 149.202176] vmmon: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Everything was working fine before the upgrade.

I even tried using 16.2.3 and various "fixes" I found here and on the internet.  All the same result.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

uname -a
Linux bhost 5.15.0-48-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 26 13:26:29 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/debian_version
bookworm/sid

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=22.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jammy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS"

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DaveT29
Contributor
Contributor

Bumping this as it was originally rejected as "spam" (go  figure), but it was posted with  the date of "10/9/2022" and might not have shown up on the recent posts list.

Thanks for any ideas...

Dave

0 Kudos
DaveT29
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a little more information -

# modprobe vmmon -v
insmod /lib/modules/5.15.0-50-generic/misc/vmmon.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vmmon': Exec format error

This seems to happen both with the out of the box compiled vmmon and the "fixed" code from mkubecek.

I'm not a coder, but I know linux pretty well and I can follow instructions.  🙂

Any ideas?  I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When you say that you "reinstalled" VMware Workstation Pro . . . was it that you installed it over the copy that was already installed, or uninstalled it and then installed afresh ?

In addition, did you install/update the compiler ?

sudo apt install build-essential

0 Kudos
DaveT29
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Carlton,

Thanks for responding.

Yep, I tried all of the above and a few other things too.  I  finally installed virtualbox and ran into similar driver issues so I figured it must have been a bum upgrade.

Short story - I went through the rebuild from hell over the weekend and finally got everything working today.

So, Workstation Pro 16.2.4 does work on an Ubuntu 22.04 fresh installation.  On an upgrade?  I wish you luck.

Thanks all,

Dave

0 Kudos