VMware Communities
devaholics_ps
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16.2.3: Pick your Poison -> Massive Input Lag or Rendering Issues

After searching what feels like the whole internet and spending multiple hours trying to fix my issues, my last hope is to get some tips pointing me in the right direction here. 

First, let me start by giving you an overview of the setup that I am using and why:

I am running Workstation Pro 16.2.3 on a Dell XPS 17 (2021) with Windows 11.

As a guest OS I mainly use Ubuntu 22.04, but I verified that the issues exist across various Linux OSs (Manjaro, Fedora) running Gnome.

Since I work as a developer for multiple clients with different toolchains, I am am running a VM for each customer to have a dedicated development environment for them without interfering with the tools required for other customers.

This setup worked quite well when I started out doing things this way in March with Ubuntu 21.10 and Ubuntu 20.04.

Since updating to Ubuntu 22.04, I am now facing a dilemma which makes my setup effectively unusable.

After updating to Ubuntu 22.04, I started seeing rendering issues when working in IntelliJ and Chrome. IntelliJ would render white boxes for some icons or other highlighting elements and popups. Chrome would have various rendering issues where also icons would not render properly, disappear on hover, or even rendering "empty" boxes where other UI elements were supposed to be.
I did not confirm/see any other major problems since for the current clients I am doing mainly web- and backend-development so I spend most of my time in the IDE or the browser.

After searching the internet, I came across a post suggesting that hardware/3d acceleration might cause these rendering issues in the browser. To my surprise, when I turned off hardware acceleration in Chrome, the issues went away. So the next thing I tried was turn of "3d acceleration" for the whole VM in the Workstation settings. With that the rendering issues indeed went away...

Unfortunately, I just exchanged one problem with another, because without 3d acceleration enabled, I am having a massive input lag when typing and especially when navigating with the arrow keys on the keyboard (which I use quite a lot when coding).
This makes it almost unbearable to do any coding work inside the VM. I've tried to find a solution for the input lag but the fixes suggested in the posts I found did not work for me. Turning 3d acceleration back on, fixes the input lag, but the rendering issues would appear again.

Now I am stuck in a dilemma, because I either I can't do my work because of rendering issues breaking important UI elements in my tools, or I am facing a massive input lag when typing/navigating in text files and terminals.

A colleague of mine who also has the same laptop is seeing similar issues when it comes to the input lag on Manjaro with KDE but not the rendering issues though. 

Did anyone else experience any similar issues? Did you manage to fix them? If you need more information, I am happy to provide it.

Every help here is very much appreciated!

3 Replies
kurthill
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have had exactly those issues and disabling 3D is indeed a poisonous fix for rendering glitches.  It has been that way for several versions…

I seems to happen most on mobile graphics…. I have not had the issue on my desktops, with standard add-on Nvidia/AMD cards…

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

See also:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Ubuntu-keyboard-poor-performance-after-u...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
davidjbaird
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have almost the exact same story, except that I have been using 22.04 since its release, and until recently has been fine. My host is a desktop (i9, 64GB) running windows 11, with an Nvidia 2070 gtx graphics card. I originally had problems with Wayland with graphics glitches etc, but switching to xorg seems to work (with the added benefit of flameshot working much better as well). For the past few weeks, however, keyboard input is severely lagging, particularly noticeable when using the cursor keys to select lines in a text editor (doesn't seem to matter which - sublime, IntelliJ, vscode or even just Text Editor (gnome)). I have tried 'downgrading' to the Nvidia studio drivers on the host, and I also tried rolling back to VMware workstation pro 16.2.1 (both things being suggested in other threads), with no effect. Have played with just about every setting on the VM, including disabling 3d acceleration etc. 3D acceleration has no effect either way for me.

Interestingly, I installed a fresh copy of 2022.4 (gnome), and before doing any system updates I spent a bit of time in Text Editor with some large files, and could not reproduce the lag. Once I had performed a 'sudo apt upgrade' the lag reappeared immediately, which makes me think it is some combination of guest kernel/software and host environment issue. I tried installing Kubuntu (to see if KDE had the same issue) and the lag was present even before doing an upgrade. I then tried Pop! Os, and so far it has been fine, even after applying all available updates and installing my regular toolchain. My plan is to continue to use Pop OS until it too starts lagging, or until someone is able to shed some light on why this is happening.

The problem does not occur (at least for me) for Windows guests.

FWIW, the kernel version of the Ubuntu VM that lags is 5.15.0-48-generic, kernel version of PopOS that does not lag is 5.19.0-76051900-generic

I have had similar problems like this in the past, and they seem to just eventually resolve themselves somehow, but while affected the VMs are pretty much unusable, at least for dev work.

There are also a bunch of other threads about this issue, so it seems the problem is fairly widespread, and it seems to come and go.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Keyboard-input-lagging/td-p/2886032

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Noticeable-typing-lag-in-Linux-VM-terminals...

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Anyone-experience-perfomance-issue-and-typi...

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Ubuntu-keyboard-poor-performance-after-u...

Update: Upgrading the laggy vm to kernel 5.19.xxx has no effect 😞

0 Kudos