VMware Communities
MMirabito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation Pro 16.2.2 no keyboard or mouse on Win Server 2019 and 2022 VMs

I just noticed that on my Workstation Pro v16.2.2 when I spin an existing win server 2019 or 2022 VM once it’s booted I am not able to use a keyboard or a mouse I can not even issue a CTRL-ATL-DEL no effect and no access to virtual keyboard either.

So I started thinking that maybe the image is corrupt. So I tried an experiment of creating a new VM from 2019 ISO and as soon as I get to the MS Windows screen for configuration I briefly see a mouse I click on the windows and then everything is like frozen no keyboard and no mouse - to regain my mouse at the host I need to press CTRL-ATL key - see screenshot .

I then tried to see if my Win 10 image exiting VM and a new VM had the same behavior but they do not. In the win 10 VMs I can use a keyboard and mouse with no issue

I am on:

• Host Win 10 enterprise 21H1 with latest march 2022 patches
  • Workstation Pro 16.2.2

Can anyone help and tell me how I can fix it. This is strange I do not understand what could s causing this.

Thanks,

max

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MMirabito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In case anyone has this issue after talking to technical support directly they suggested I lower my CPU I had it set up to 2X4 (8 vCPUs) when i lowered it to 2x2 (4 vCPU) i got my mouse and keyboard back. Not sure why it suddenly stopped working,

max

Tags (1)
dmvrtisjr
Contributor
Contributor

Has same exact problem and this worked for me. No mouse/keyboard while trying to install Server 2019 or 2022 from .iso. Had CPU count of 2x4, changed to 2x2 and working perfectly now. Thanks for the post, likely would not have tried this otherwise!

Tags (1)
_Maurice_
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with Workstation 17 pro. I expected that after the initial start and config the install of the VMware tools would help to use more than 4CPUs/Cores but it does not help. Any ideas how to use more than 4 cores with a keyboard?

By the way, How dores the number of cpus influence the keyboad/mouse system? 

Have fun, Maurice 

0 Kudos
MMirabito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think support provided a fix on VM 16 and it appears to continue to be working in VM 17. This is what their solution was:

This is regarding the issue allocating more than 8 VCPUs, kindly add the below line in the win2019 vmx file
monitor_control.disable_apichv= "TRUE"

Give this a try and see if it helps, I am running 2019 and 2022 with 8 CPUs.

max

2023-01-30_06-41-23.jpg

_Maurice_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thx 4 help! I will try your solution this week and i will give feedback asap.

Have fun,

Maurice

0 Kudos
_Maurice_
Contributor
Contributor

So i tested it after the update to WS Pro 17.0.1 build-21139696. Without changing the vmx file i had the same problem, no mouse and keyboard, after adding the line as described to the vmx File everythin worked fine with 8 CPUs or cores.

Thanks for the help, saved my day!!!

Maurice

0 Kudos