VMware Communities
Trymon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation Pro 16.1: Guest OS doesn't recognize USB 3.2 Gen 1 and Gen 2 Host ports

Hi,

it seems that I can't pass through any USB device connected to one of my USB 3.2 Gen 1 or Gen 2 ports. Unfortunately I don't have any other types of USB ports available at my Host system.
Also trying to utilize a USB 3.0 Hub in between didn't help. No additional removable device is shown in Workstation Pro.

As Guest OS I have Windows 10 installed, also my Host is running with Windows 10.
Within the Settings I've set USB to 3.1 but also tried it with 2.0 and 1.1. Everything failed.

Does somebody has some suggestions or do I have to wait until some day VMWare choses to implement USB 3.2 as option and driver for the Tools?

Kind Regards,

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Trymon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe somebody at some time will have the same issue so I'm posting the solution for this.

After long time just living with this issue today I started again to investigate and realized, that the VMware USB Arbitration Service was not running and could not be started. 
My first attempt was to repair the installation of VMWare but even a repair failed. So I had to uninstall it, which caused Windows to repair it's registry, and after installing VMWare fresh the service started and now I have all my USB devices shown to me and I could add them to the virtual machines. 

Lessons learned. If something fails look into your services if all expected services are running. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Trymon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe somebody at some time will have the same issue so I'm posting the solution for this.

After long time just living with this issue today I started again to investigate and realized, that the VMware USB Arbitration Service was not running and could not be started. 
My first attempt was to repair the installation of VMWare but even a repair failed. So I had to uninstall it, which caused Windows to repair it's registry, and after installing VMWare fresh the service started and now I have all my USB devices shown to me and I could add them to the virtual machines. 

Lessons learned. If something fails look into your services if all expected services are running. 

0 Kudos