VMware Communities
IMGalaxyMan
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 15 - Can't access network

I have my vMachine's network setting at Host Only. Other computers on the network have no problem seeing/accessing the vMachine, but I cannot see or access any of the other computers on the network with the vMachine. Windows 10 is the OS everywhere. I need to keep the vMachine isolated from the internet, so any solution has to keep that in mind. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Umm... if the VM network configuration is set to Host-Only, then other computers on the network better not be able to see it - that's the point of a *host-only* network connection!

If you need to keep it isolated from the network, why not just omit the network card entirely?

0 Kudos
IMGalaxyMan
Contributor
Contributor

I want to be able to access files on my network, but I do not want to allow any form of internet connectivity to the vMachine. Is that not possible?

And I'm not sure about other computers, but the computer running the vMachine can see the vMachine and its files, but not vice versa.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Don't give the NIC in the VM OS a default gateway, then it will only have access to IP addresses on the local subnet and nothing beyond your router.

That way you can leave the VM NIC as "bridged" to allow full local access from your host OS and other local systems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IMGalaxyMan
Contributor
Contributor

Neither the IPv4 or IPv6 have a value in the VM OS. When I changed the VM to Bridged, the internet was available, which I do not want.

0 Kudos