VMware Communities
sargehendricks
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 15.5: Convert physical machine to VM - keeps failing

Good Afternoon,

I have tried accomplishing this task with the vCenter Converter Standalone itself as well as the "Virtualize a Physical Machine" wizard through Workstation Pro itself.  I have also tried to create the VM from the Workstation host as well as creating the VM from the physical machine to be converted.  I get a different type of error with each way I've tried to do this.

For starters, I am trying to virtualize a newer Latitude 9250 with TPM and UEFI (if that matters).  I am doing this (I hope) to prevent having to walk around with multiple machines all the time.

In trying to create the VM from the standalone converter on the host, I continually get a failure at 1% of creation of the VM with an error that it was "cannot format volume."  Regardless of what disk controller that I use or how I choose to clone the volumes, that's error that is produced.

If I try to use Workstation Pro's wizard, I ended up with a "converter.fault.CredentialsConflictFault" referencing the inability to create a share to write the VM to.  I am using the administrator account for this process.  I also setup a dedicated, administrator account for this process.  That didn't work either.  I also manually created a share for writing the VM files.  That also failed with the same error.

Other than the error message windows that appear during these processes, I have been unable to find any sort of information that helps to determine what the actual problem is, or how to solve it.  Does anyone know of a way to debug this process?  I would really like to get this done, but I have no idea what direction to go next.  I have been trying this for days.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Also... I tried to use Starwind V2V to convert the machine as well, writing to an ESXi box I have in my office, but I received a message from THAT software stating that my license was incorrect for that operation.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No clues as to what the OS is? With a version number too?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I am doing this (I hope) to prevent having to walk around with multiple machines all the time.

Explain why you can not set up a new Win10 or Win11 from scratch.
Compared to an import (p2v)  of a Win10 with active TPM and UEFI, the creation of a new VM is like a walk in the park vs a climb of the K2.
Anyway - respect for your warrior mindset 👍

0 Kudos
sargehendricks
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry about that.  Both the host and (desired) VM are Windows 10 Pro.  The host is version 21H2 19044.1766, and the machine that I want to convert is also version 21H2 19044.1766.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Why cant you set it up from scratch ?

0 Kudos