VMware Communities
HelleK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation Pro 15.5.7 support on Windows 11 host?

I am running Workstation Pro 15.5.7 on a Windows 10 host today.  Windows update is telling me that I can download Windows 11 now.  But I am concerned about my Workstation Pro 15.5.7 installation.  Does anyone know if v15.5.7 will work and is supported on Windows 11?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

for the support check this link

Supported host operating systems for Workstation Pro 12.x, 14.x, 15.x (2129859) (vmware.com)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

HelleK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Fabio.  This is the matrix I was looking for 🙂

0 Kudos
CRoth2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, the matrix is helpful but doesn't explicitly lay out the information I am looking for, nor did @HelleK  follow up with his results, just that the matrix was what he was looking for. 

The Workstation 15.x matrix stops at Windows 10 1909.  Well, we have Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2, and all those in between.  I am left to guess their official status.  The Workstation 16.x document says Windows 10 and Windows 11 are supported as host operating systems, great, but I have Workstation 15.x and am looking for information regarding that specifically.  Someone may say that they aren't updating the documentation to include that information since a newer version is out, but I argue that the document says last updated 04/12/2022.  It would be most appropriate to include the latest version even if the middle ones are skipped to confirm or show specifically that they are or are not supported.  

I am looking for something that explicitly calls out that Windows 11 21H2 is or is NOT supported as a host operating system for Workstation 15.x AND then separately is Windows 11 Guest OS supported on Windows 10 21H2 host running Workstation 15.x?  I have a tough time going to management requesting upgrades when I am unable to show that what I have is insufficient. 

Any help and further clarification is greatly appreciated.  Please provide links to documentation if you have something else that would help me.  Thanks!   

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have always assumed that if it’s not spelt out that something is supported, then it’s not.

For guest OSes: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
rikhiggott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there, did you ever confirm that workstation pro 15 would work on Windows 11?  I have installed on my windows 11 host, but it crashes when ever I try to power up any of my VMs 

0 Kudos
davdjross
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here has this been resolved or do I need to upgrade to 17 pro?

thanks

0 Kudos
IlDavo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Supported host operating systems for Workstation Pro 16.x, 17.x and Workstation Player 16.x, 17.x (8... indicates that the first Workstation Pro release that officially supports (runs on) Windows 11 in version 16.2.

Sad news for me, as I'm still on 15.7 and don't yet have company approval to purchase an upgrade...

I am wondering if disabling Windows 11's "Memory integrity" feature will:

a) Cause other problems with my use of Windows 11

b) Actually permit Workstation Pro 15.7 to run on Windows 11

0 Kudos
dwknoble
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Be careful.  VMWare isn't explicit, but if your processor doesn't support XSAVE, V17 will not permit any virtual machine to power up.    Because of this inadequacy in their documentation (but perhaps it's buried somewhare>), I am now a *former* customer of VMWare.

0 Kudos