VMware Communities
Fbaixinho
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 15.5.1 and Windows 10 1903

Hi,

Host: windows 2016

I have a problem with the boot time of the windows 10,

If the vm has 4 total processors cores it takes 1 minute to boot if I change it to 8, it takes 2 minutes and if I change it to 16, it takes 5 minutes.

This doesn't affect windows 7 vm's.

If any you have any tips for this I would appreciate

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And if it only has 2 vCPUs? Or just 1?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Fbaixinho
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

With 2 or 1 vCPUs it takes 45 seconds to boot.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So the lesson may be not to over-provision the vCPUs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Fbaixinho
Contributor
Contributor

And what about windows 7 vm? no matter how many vCPUs I add , it boots in the same amount of time?

I really don't think over-provision is the issue here.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You didn't really explain anything about what the "problem" was or what you wanted or expected to be different...

You have learned that smaller VMs are simpler for the hypervisor to run.

0 Kudos
Fbaixinho
Contributor
Contributor

I expect the same behavior from vmware that happens on the windows 7 vm, or at least I don't expect 5 minutes to boot the machine.

0 Kudos
Fbaixinho
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that these machines are used to run Visual Studio builds, that fail when the vm takes 5 minutes to boot.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not all guest OSes run the same on physical or virtual hardware, but you have found a way of reducing the boot time - stick with that setup so long as the OS services and apps perform the way you want them too.

You don’t give any indication of the host hardware, making it difficult for anyone here to help further.

And if performance is an issue, consider running a bare-metal hypervisor such as ESXi instead.

0 Kudos