VMware Communities
adweitzsacker
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 15.0.2 on Windows 10 (1809) host, HIGH disk utilization

I'm hoping there is a workaround/fix for this...

New system, HP EliteDesk G4, 32G RAM, 1TB boot disk, 4GB data disk, included exclusively for Workstation guests.

Workstation Pro 15.0.2 - which was installed from the 15.0 distro: VMware-workstation-full-15.0.0-10134415.exe, then upgraded to latest after completed initial installation.

When using Workstation with vCenter to get to vSphere guests, there are no issues.  If I start one local guest, not involving vCenter at all, the disk utilization where the guest lives (the 4G disk) goes to 99-100% utilization. That "calms down" after a couple minutes, then when a second guest is started, utilization pegs again and can appear to hang. If left alone for 1-2 minutes, the logon screen will pop up and the disk starts to calm down again.

Looking through this forum, I found reference to turning off Device Guard and Credential Guard and Hyper-V.

After working a while any one of the guest, such as logging on, the disk utilization will spike, but in general calms down. If I'm testing MS Updates, this gets to being a bit trying. I have heard that this was a problem introduced by Microsoft from coworkers, but as they explain, the go into Windows 10 (1809) as a guest of an ESX host. This is not the case here, where I have various guests in Workstation Pro 15, primarily to test updates or new software before rolling it out to production.

As I was setting up my new system, Workstation Pro was one of the later products installed.

Any thoughts/suggestions/workarounds?

Alan Weitzsacker

0 Kudos
6 Replies
adweitzsacker
Contributor
Contributor

To add some more information, when I check in task manager in the Windows 10 (1809) host, VMware Workstation (32 bit) is displayed, Did I install this incorrectly? Should this not say 64 bit?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

VMware Workstation (32 bit) is displayed, Did I install this incorrectly? Should this not say 64 bit?

No, the UI is still 32-bit.  All the drivers, services, hypervisor code, etc., is 64-bit.

Also, just FYI:

Workstation Pro 15.0.2 - which was installed from the 15.0 distro: VMware-workstation-full-15.0.0-10134415.exe, then upgraded to latest after completed initial installation.

EVERY Workstation Installation package is a complete install.  If you run it and a previous version is installed, the first thing it does is uninstall any prior versions, then do a fresh install.

0 Kudos
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I think I have a similar problem here on a Sony VAIO notebook with SSD. Since about January I have the problem that after shutdown of Windows 10 VMWare (in the Workstation Player) the host system (Windows 8.1 Home) loads the SSD 100 percent for up to one minute. I already had the WMWare Player Version 15.0.2 in 2018, without these problems. I suspect it's related to a Windows update, but I haven't been able to find out or read about it on the Internet. Maybe I also have this problem after finishing other programs like Firefox. Updating the player to 15.0.3 did not improve the situation. The virus scanner is Avira. After I deactivated it, the problem still occurred.

Heiko

0 Kudos
RFolmes
Contributor
Contributor

I have solved my issue of 100% disk usage by disabling superfetch or SysMain in the services of the guest Windows 10 machine. 

0 Kudos
adweitzsacker
Contributor
Contributor

Another clarification since I keep finding the phrase about the changes being made in the "Windows 10 guest" - I'm running with a Windows 10 (1809) host. The guests vary from Windows 7 to a Windows Server 2019 - any guest will trigger a high disk utilization on the host.  My temporary "fix" is to move the guest from the SATA disk to the SSD, where the higher speed alleviates some of delays. This isn't ideal since the 4TB SATA drives were intended for the vmdk files of the guests to be stored.    I'm checking to see if HP has newer drivers than the 2006 drivers that Windows 10 claims is the latest version.

0 Kudos
adweitzsacker
Contributor
Contributor

Just to bring this up to date, 15.1 still gives the same issue, and my temporary workaround of using SSD only partially works due to the speed of the SSD vs. physical disks. I need to be patient, but I have managed to get two guests "running" at the same time.

Had attempted to upgrade to 15.5 when it came out, only this was worse. No guest could run for any amount of time before it would BSOD - any version of Windows 10 as a guest was useless. Downgraded to 15.1, but considering going back to version 14 since that allowed for easy transfer of guests between workstation and vsphere. There have been no useful ideas (I have tried all that I came across) to resolve this issue.

The hardware for the host is an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 TWR with 32GB RAM, boots off a 1TB SSD and has 2 4TB seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 drives linked into a software mirror in Windows 10 Enterprise (1809)

0 Kudos