VMware Communities
KerryPoe
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 14 - Black screen when booting - this seems different than other reported black screen issues.

I'm currently having an issue since moving to a new machine. I'm using Workstation Pro 14.7. My previous machine was an ASUS GM501G and the new is a Dell Precision 7730. I have 8 virtuals, each with many snapshots. When I boot some of the virtuals, the screen is black and in the lower right corner, only the disk drive icon is enabled, see below. It appears it's not even booting Windows so I cannot boot into safe mode. When I try to close the vm through the app, it says it's busy. When I go to Task Manager to force close "VMWare Workstation VMX" nothing happens, no message and the process remains in Task Manager. Additionally, if you look at the PID of the vmware-vmx.exe, there's not a Service associated or listed on the Servies tab. If I try to close force close vmware-vmx.exe, I receive an access denied error. I've stopped all the Services associated with VMWare, but in the Task Tray, is still says there are virtuals running. If I reboot the host machine, the Task Tray icon says there are vms running. FYI, only the vms behaving as described above remain running, if there's not an issue with the vm and/or snapshot, the vm is able to be shutdown (and force closed) and it's not displayed as running in the Task Tray.

pastedImage_0.png

In the virtuals that do boot, if I revert to another snapshot, I get the same behavior. The only thing I can do is to perform a "repair" on the installation then reboot. Once I reboot, I can at least revert to a working snapshot.

I've tried:

- running as Admin

- added a floppy drive to get an error before boot

- deleting the log files

- deleting the lck files

- enabled/disabled 3D Graphics

- creating new virtuals on the new machine, but at least one is behaving the same as described above so I quit rebuilding them

- uninstalled using - VMware-workstation-full-14.1.7-12989993.exe /c then deleted reg keys and reinstalling

- I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting

nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeOD_GHD
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issues described here, and looking for response(s) from vmware.

Perhaps related to Windows 10 updates?

0 Kudos