VMware Communities
mswyatt
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 12 Networking Issues in Win7 Guest

I recently upgraded from RHEL 6.7 to RHEL 7.2 and also upgraded from vmware Workstation 10 to vmware Workstation 12 Pro.  Since the upgrade my Win7 guest has continually been having issues connecting to the network.

With chrome, I constantly get ERR_CONNECTION_RESET messages on almost every web page.  Reloading several times will eventually allow the page to load.    On FireFox, it shows as "The connection was reset".

I am running the network adapter in bridged mode.  Have tried NAT but I don't always get connected to the network in NAT mode.

I have gone through the KB article which called for uninstalling/reinstalling vmware tools, removing/adding back the network adapter, etc.  Still no luck.

Any suggestions for debug, or has anyone else had a similar issue and found a resolution?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is a real shot in the dark, really has nothing to do with VMware, but maybe worth a look. I have seen strange failures due to MTU settings, particularly on DSL connections. This is usually handled by the router but sometimes I have changed it in Windows to fix. Actually haven't run into this in a long time, I now use cable.

In your W7 VM, Open a command prompt in administrator mode.

To see your MTU, run

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

Mine shows:     1500                1   17177019     945625  Local Area Connection

Which says MTU is 1500 and the name is "Local Area Connection"

I would try it at 1492 which is what some DSL ISP's "like"

To change it:

C:\Users\Administrator>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1492 store=persistent
Ok.

Make sure you use your interface's name, in quotes. Mine is Local Area Connection as above.

Restart the VM.

I had a DSL connection in the moutains that did much better down around 1465, but the settings were made in the router. You might want to check that first.

0 Kudos
mswyatt
Contributor
Contributor

louyo,  thanks for the reply.  Just finally getting some time to test this again.  I changed the MTU on the windows guest to 1492 without any luck.  I moved it again down to 1465 but still no luck.

I did some ping tests at various sizes and it works up to a ping size of 1472.   Starting at 1473 the requests time out which is why I went down to 1465.  Not sure if that really means anything.

On the linux host I don't have the same issue at any size, and no issues with network connections on the host OS.  That makes me think it's not the router but something in VMWare networking interface that's off.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos