VMware Communities
Red0005
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Guests with more than 64GB RAM?

Hi,

Are there plans for Workstation to ever support guests with more than 64gb of RAM?

I have Workstation running on a server with 256gb of RAM and I need to create a couple of VM's with over 100gb each and without wanting to migrate to a bare-metal hypervisor it seems the only option is to move away from Workstation to its main (and free) competitor; I've been a Workstation customer for many years and so would really rather not change.

Just wondering (hoping) if this feature might be in the pipeline for Workstation 11 perhaps.

Thanks,

Red.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OT:

I have no answer to your question but i want to know something else. How much physical memory is used after booting a vm with 8gb or 16gb ram? Please can you check the memory consumption with 'task-manager' or 'top' on the host. I expect to see only a real memory consumption between 512mb and 2000mb for this vm.

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
Red0005
Contributor
Contributor

It really depends on what is being done on the VM; in many cases the amount of memory allocated to the VM is up to 90% or more of what is allocated and sometimes perhaps as low as 25% to 50% is being used.

Regardless of how much is actually allocated by the host to the guest, I have a need to create VM's with more than 64gb of RAM otherwise the software which I need to install will just not install and since Workstation prevents you from allocating more than 64gb; this renders it unusable for this particular requirement.

Any VMWare engineers on here who might know what is planned for Workstation 11?

I use both of the main alternatives to Workstation in a small way and both will allow a guests to have more than 64gb of RAM; but I prefer to use Workstation and would like to continue to do so if possible.

We could go the type 1 hypervisor route but this is a totally different and more costly undertaking than it is using a type 2.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Any VMWare engineers on here who might know what is planned for Workstation 11?

VMware employees are not allowed by policy to discuss unannounced features, timeline, etc. so you'll probably not get the answer you're looking for! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos