VMware Communities
MrBxxx
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9 and AT&T Network Client 9.0.2

I'm running Workstation 9 on a Windows 7 host.  The host also uses AT&T Network Client to connect to the work place.  I'm seeing a strange interaction between Workstation 9 and AT&T Network client.  Every 20 seconds or so, both a Workstation 9 Windows guest process (vmware-vmx.exe) and the AT&T Network Client process will consume all the CPU on the host.  This lasts for about 3-4 seconds and then repeats again in about 20 seconds.  The guest OS can be any Windows OS (Windows Server 2003 - Windows Server 2008 R2).

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Any solutions? I have attached the ZIP file containing the VmWare support troubleshooting data.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to make sure I understand.

You have two connections out from your windows 7 PC.  You have one connection "bridged"? for the vm?

I could possibly see an issue if the guest is not bound to the proper network adapter.  You may want to try forcing the vm guest's NIC to bind to the connection you want the guest to use.  If you want it to only use the ATT connection, bind to that network connection.  Or if you want to use both, create 2 nics in the guest and bind each to one of the two network connections of the host.

0 Kudos
MrBxxx
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have two connections out from the Windows 7 host: my home 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet and then a VPN to my workplace.  The bridged guest adapter always gets a 192.168.xxx.xxx address so I assumed it was using the correct host adapter, but I can try specifically binding them to my host adapter instead of the VPN.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MrBxxx
Contributor
Contributor

I edited the Virtual Network settings and restricted the automatic bridged adapter to just my WiFi and LAN, and VmWare no longer pegs a CPU.  It's just AT&T Net Client now that pegs one of the CPUs on my two core system, but I think that's an AT&T issue.

0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is that something you can work around?

0 Kudos
MrBxxx
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure yet how to work around AT&T Net Client problem, but I think that's their issue and not VmWare's.  I'm going to call AT&T support when I get a chance.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I edited the Virtual Network settings and restricted the automatic bridged adapter to just my WiFi and LAN

why that - you should/must disable automatic bridging completely and really assign one physical device to one vmnet.

Everything else is unreliable

0 Kudos