VMware Communities
ejobrien
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9 Upgrade Pricing

Hi All,

I just noticed that the upgrade price for Workstation 9 is now $174.50AUD. The previous upgrades have always been $99AUD. Can someone please explain the logic behind this rather dramatic price hike?

From a marketting point of view, this seems an odd time to be hiking prices for virtualisation, particularly with the impending release of Windows 8 with built-in Hyper-V. VMWare really aught to be dropping their prices if anything to remain competitive.

Can someone please explain what motivates, or justifies this price increase?

Eugene

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

"

Hi  ejobrien

Welcome to communites .

I hope there are two diffrent price one is with support another is without support.

please find the link .

http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.181700200

"Don't go through life, grow through life."
0 Kudos
ejobrien
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ravi,

Yes I understand that there are two different prices, with and without support. However the pricing for the upgrade without support is approximately $75 more expensive than the previous upgrade licenses. I'm just having a hard time understanding how this price increase is reasonable or justified.

It is very unusual for software to get more expensive. With increased competition from Oracle and Microsoft, this price increase just seems bizarre. I can't help wondering if VMWare is wanting to move away from desktop virtualisation and is therefore trying to push existing customers away.

Eugene

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The price in the US for the VMware Workstation 9 Upgrade without support is 119.00 USD which at today's exchange rate is approx 115.00 AUD.  So my question is why the discrepancy between the current exchange rate and the cost in AUD?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Somewhat interesting marketing question.  Doesn't affect me  directly  because I live in the USA (fortunately or not).   The upgrade  price here  went from  $99 to  $119 dollars in this country - why is that?  .  It was $99  as far back as I remember.   How can  VMware (or any other software maker) change their prices on a daily  exchange rate?  If however the Aussies can show that  there was  predatory  pricing in their country alone - that does sound like a   lawslhit for sure. i. How much VMware/EMC would care is yet another  question.

If memory serves somebody else  from AUS said a lawsuite on this very issue was in the works.  Seems like these days lawyers are more creative than developers.

0 Kudos
ejobrien
Contributor
Contributor

I think I might have been a little bit confused with my first post. I think the previous upgrade pricing I was quoting must have been in USD, not AUD. This would be why it was $99. It wouldn't make any sense to charge the same rate in different currencies.

Anyway it seems now VMWare charges in local currencies instead of just using a universal USD price. This regional price however seems to have nothing to do with the current exchange rate.

0 Kudos