VMware Communities
virtech
Expert
Expert

Workstation 9 Shared VM's Not Displayed

I have workstation 9 installed and some VM's shared out, however these are not being displayed at http://localhost:8888 seems a bit flakey!

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
WD1867
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Just curious ... what makes you think that something should happen when you connect to http://localhost:8888

This questions came up a few times already and maybe the VMware docs are misguiding ....

With a regular Workstation 9 install nothing will happen at that port.

Maybe you just mixed up WS with WSX ?
WSX is another VMware product that is a complete standalone tool that has nothing to do with Workstation.
WSX is a webserver that listens on port 8888 and from there can display VMs that run on ESXi or WS-hosts.

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

Hi I wouild expect to see the several "shared VM's" I have running on my laptop where Workstation 9 &WSX is installed...It worked once but then not again

0 Kudos
WD1867
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry... this is with WSX installed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the screenshot looks ok - now add a host.
Host in this case means your local system - so give WSX the IP address of your host - "localhost" or 127.0.0.1 should also work.

WSX is in a experimental state - I would use one of the suggested browsers

0 Kudos
WD1867
Contributor
Contributor

That's one of the issues I'm running into... the Workstation cannot be added, although it should be automatically listed.

According to the documentation, "The Home page serves as a jumping point to get to your servers and to configure your server list. If you have installed WSX on the same server where Workstation 9 has been installed, the virtual machines that you have shared in Workstation will automatically be listed under the Shared VMs server."  Right now, my Shared VMs on my Workstation are not being displayed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

show a screenshot of the shared VMs in the WS library please

0 Kudos
WD1867
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a screen shot with the shared VMs.  There's just one VM that's being shared right now.

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

Here's my screenshot of my two VM's under shared folders. Nothing there when I browse tohttp://localhost:8888

WD1867 just out of interest whats your OS type?  Mines Windows 7 64 Bit

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what is running on port 443 and 902 ?

you can check with

telnet localhost 902
telnet localhost 433net start

- open a cmd as admin and type

net start VMAuthdService
net start VMUSBArbService
net start vmwarehostd

this will give us some hints

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

443 - I get Access to the webpage was denied - You are not authorized to access the webpage at https://localhost/. You may need to sign in.

902 VMware Authentication Daemon Version is running

All 3 services are running

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

next stop: check hostd.log

please attach C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\hostd\hostd.log

on Windows 7 that file is hidden in C:\programdata\...

forgot to ask in last post ...
net start vmusbarbservice

should also work

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

File attached,  vmusbarbservice is already started.

0 Kudos
WD1867
Contributor
Contributor

Just the VM Services.  If I chose to connect, I connect to my server.

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

this file might be more helpful

What I notice is the following:

1 - When I initally browse to http://localhost:8888 I can log in ok but cant see any shared VM's

2- When i click on shared VM's it takes me to the logon page, at that point I cant log back in (just hangs)

I the have to kill the vmware-wsx-server process and restart WSX to get the webpage back

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I am in a hurry - sorry for short reply ...

try with SSL disabled - to do that read the config.xml and find:

<!-- Remove the following node to disable SSL -->

remove that section and restart hostd

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

Disabling SSL hasnt made any difference, Shared VM''s still not displayed

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

I've resolved this now, when you log in for the first time to WSX and then click on the "Shared VM's" option the logon screened is returned again, I couldnt log back into this using the same user ID, created a new local user and could log in and see my shared VM's. 

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

You post the following from documentation (BTW could you please post the link to this documentation - I would love to  see new documentation)

"According to the documentation, "The Home page serves as a jumping point to get to your servers and to configure your server list. If you have installed WSX on the same server where Workstation 9 has been installed, the virtual machines that you have shared in Workstation will automatically be listed under the Shared VMs server."  Right now, my Shared VMs on my Workstation are not being displayed."

I have the configuration described.  Shared VM/s on the same machine (localhost) as WSX.  I log into WS localhost:8888 and get the WSX welcome screen.  Then , from home, I choose login (localhsot itself is listed - but not VM's).  This is because I have not logged into the localhost server itself.  The same login screen appears as well as a default to localhost:444.  When I login again my Shared VM's appear and I can open them a browser (I use either Firefox and Chrome and I can run them at the same time!)  I believe I can also access the VM's using WS as well as through WSX.  I'm not running this right now so I'd have jog my memory.

0 Kudos