VMware Communities
smoosmoo
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9 Cloned Images Can't Access External SItes

VMWare Workstation 9.0.3

Guest: CentOS 5.6

Hi. I'm having a recurring problem which is probably down to a gap in my knowledge so would appreciate any pointers. I have a CentOS 5.6 VM that has a single NIC using NAT. In the VM, I've set the NIC to use DHCP and I can ping/telnet external sites (google.com 80). When I clone the VM, the new version comes up with the same IP as the original, which is expected. I'm struggling to understand how to change the cloned VM's IP to be a separate address. If I set it to a static IP with a new address, the VM is unable to contact external sites. I can nslookup google.com, for example, and get the correct address back, but ping/telnets fail every time. If I set the VM back to using DHCP, it just gets the address of the original clone and ping/telnets start working again. Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong please? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So there are a couple of issues I see with this.

1, The clone should give you a new VM with a new mac address assigned to the NIC, there shouldn't be anything in DHCP that allocates the same IP address back to that VM unless your DHCP scope is that small that you only have a single address to use and the lease time is based in minutes rather than hours\days\weeks.

2. The static address you're using isn't configured with the correct gateway address, it's getting the DNS information from the DNS server (assuming an internal one here) and that's the reason why you're getting a response there and not via ICMP to the external sites.

I would check the mac address of both VM's and make sure that they aren't the same, if they are I would probably look at removing the existing NIC and re-adding a new one back in (there by replacing the mac address with a new one).

Have you tried tracing from the CentOS image out to the internet, what kind of path is it taking (I would hope that this gives you some idea of where it's falling down).

0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Did you removed NIC from cloned VM and reinstll it , if so then try to change mode NAT. Bridge on cloned vm only .

0 Kudos