VMware Communities
MrsWiesel
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9.0.2: how connecting USB Device to Remote virtual machine

Hello everyone,

i've got on a Linux machine a Workstation 9.0.2 running.

Connect to it with an other Workstation 9.0.2 from a Windows machine and manage all the virtual Machines on the Linux Host.

Now i want to connect a USB-Device, which is physically connected to the Linux Machine, to a Virtual Machine running also on the Linux Machine.

This i want to do via the Windows Machine to the remote Virtual Machine running on the Linux Host.

When i go to "removable Devices" on the virtual Machine, there is no USB-Devicelist shown.

If i do the same on a local virtual Machine USB-Devices are listet.

On the Linux Host itself USB-Devices are correct listet, connected and running.

The File "/etc/vmware/usbarb.rules" contains this:

{
  "version": 1,
  "rules": []
}

If i select the USB-Controller of a remote virtual Machine there are no Options, only a text is listed which says

"There are no configurable options for USB controllers on this server"

I hope there will be a Solution to connect remot USB Devices to a Remote Virtual Machine.

Thanks for help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MrsWiesel
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

i've looked forward a little and it seems the Problems is centered on to the  vmware-USBArbitrator

Take a look at the Logfile after running it in Debugmode ..

The Host is running on Ubuntu Server 12.10

Kernel 3.5

VMWare Workstation 9.0.2 Build 1031769

I hope it helps in finding a Solution ...

0 Kudos
kossmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

is there a solution meanwhile?

I am running a VMware Workstation 12.5 on a linux server with virtual machines inside. I use another VMware Workstion (windows pc) to get access to these machines. Everything works great...

But how can i connect to a usb device, physical connected to my linux server, inside a virtual machine?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is by design.

Quote from http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005585

When you share a virtual machine, you lose these features:

Unity

Shared Folders

AutoProtect

drag and drop

copy and paste

Thin Print

Ability to connect/redirect USB devices from the host to the virtual machine not available with Workstation 8.x

3D Acceleration

That's Workstation 8.x and  up.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
kossmann
Contributor
Contributor

No - i found a soution:

i edit the VMX-File and add a "usb.autoConnect.device<X>" line - this works for me. Now i try to passthrough a SmartCard inside a USB-Reader (HID USB device, so also use a "

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE" and "usb.quirks.device<X>" line). Here i also have to run pcscd with "--force-reader-pollig" on host.

0 Kudos