VMware Communities
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9.0.2 Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit

Hello,

Anyone installed Workstation 9.0.2 on a fresh ubuntu 13.04 64 bit installation ?

If so, any patch which needs to be applied before ?

15 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

No patch is needed.  Works great "out of the box" for me.

It is possible however that you may not be able to insert ther licnese key from the GUI.

In that case go to /usr/lib/vmware/licenses/site  and edit the file    "license-ws-90-e1-201202"  with the text editor you like (e.g.  sudo nano license-ws-90-e1-201202)  and  insert the line:

Serial=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX after the line License Type. save the file and you are licensed forever.

keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Just installed without any issue, however i was unable to enter the serial number & did the following:

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug --new-sn serial-number-goes-here

Workstation 9 launches fine, but virtual network editor doesn't works.

Could anyone please confirm if the virtual network editor works fine from their side on Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit ?

0 Kudos
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

This is what  get when i run sudo vmware-netcfg

(vmware-netcfg:10304): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-netcfg:10304): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not a Linux guy, so please don't mind me if this does not apply, but maybe http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/gtk-message-failed-to-load-module-canberra-... is related to this issue!?

André

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Guess you didn't see my updated post  previous.  Sot I repeat

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is possible however that you may not be able to insert ther licnese key from the GUI.

In  that case go to /usr/lib/vmware/licenses/site  and edit the file     "license-ws-90-e1-201202"  with the text editor you like (e.g.  sudo  nano license-ws-90-e1-201202)  and  insert the line:

Serial=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX after the line License Type. save the file and you are licensed forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously you need to replace XXX.. with your own serial number.  Its been a l ong time since I used a trial version (not saying you have) but you can still elnter the serail number as above  You next problem is different and I'll have a look at that but using the above instructions is easier for me than using a slightly complex command linie (which I'm not sure than anybody has veried that it works - it would absolutely have to inser the Serial= linie anyway so  that all the information appears in the about screen. If that is not the case its p oor programminig   IMIHO.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Run any network configurations using h Network Editor program rather than the command line standalone program .  If you get the same error (won't be nearly  as verbose as what  you posted) then post that error please.

0 Kudos
keshwarsingh
Contributor
Contributor

When i run the virtual network editor, nothing happens..

Reverted back to 12.04 LTS 🙂

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Well if you want you can always take the upgrade path 12.04 > 12.10 > 13.04.  I had to do this because the is no alternate installer for Ubuntu after 12.04 LTS.  Not  even the server installer recognizes my RAID 5 configuratioin.  Guess, like Fedora, they don't make installers the way they used to. Smiley Happy  If you do a minimal install this doesn't take as long as you might think.

Take care

0 Kudos
cldunlap
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same problem with Workstation9 and 13.04, 64-bit.  /var/log/syslog reports : vmware-gksu[15497]: segfault at 7fcc5d7271aa ip 00007fcc61c85be6 sp 00007fffc536ca58 error 4 in libc-2.17.so[7fcc61b4d000+1be000] everytime I try and use the 'Virtual Network Editor'.  I had this same error when I tried the 'enter license' information but found the command to get the license installed through the command line in the forums.

I have tried the complete uninstall/re-install of Workstation 9 to no avail.  Also, this was a fresh install of 13.04.  I have even tried re-installing the library but that didn't help either.

I will keep searching but any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
wyretrip
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue and the best I can tell is that it is a permissions issue.

The workaround I have for this is to run "vmware" with root permissions.

This is most easily accomplished by pressing "alt-f2" and entering "gksu vmware".

You will then be prompted for your password and VMware Workstation should run like you would normally expect, except now when you go to Virtual Network Editor, it will appear.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
cldunlap
Contributor
Contributor

That did, in fact, fix my problems. 

Thank you for the help!  I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
ceyhunkirmizita
Contributor
Contributor

I installed Ubuntu 13.04 in VMware Workstation 9.0.2. I recorded installation session. You can watch it on youtube.

How to Install Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) in VMware Workstation 9.0.2 - YouTube

Hope it'll be useful for the community.

0 Kudos
metalacido
Contributor
Contributor

If you need run the virtual network editor, only copy this in terminal sudo /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-netcfg

Have a nice day Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Rehan1801
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Have you tried uninstalling Workstation and the run this command  sudo apt-get install gkt2-murrine-engine:i386

IF already tried and did not help you may also want to try install libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a . This fixed the issue for me!

gancho
Contributor
Contributor

ThanksRehan1801. The libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a finally fixed the problem for me (Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, Gnome 3.12)