VMware Communities
Squareball
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9.0.2 1031769 build and USB issue

Hi,

I upgraded my v9 Workstation installation to the latest v9.0.2 1031769 build yesterday and am now suffering from general USB failures on the host.

I noticed shortly after the installation that the host was detecting hardware removal\addition events (audible warning) and on checking the device manager noticed that the VMWare USB Device was listed as 'not working'.

All was fine with the previous v9 Workstation installation.

My host now fails to recognise the connection of other USB devices (there are no guests running) and the only way to get any response is to disconnect\connect my USB hub from the host. The general pattern of behaviour is that USB devices are recognised for a short period before being lost. A check of the device manager then shows a failed VMWare USB Device.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Sean Bond

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Squareball
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - forgot to mention that the host's USB interfaces\devices work fine once the VMware USB Arbitration Service is stopped.

Sean

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try to restart Windows after the installation?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Squareball
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled VMware Workstation again.

The host is Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit BTW.

Sean

0 Kudos
roncwynn
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue.  Has anyone solved it?

0 Kudos
ShamusDB
Contributor
Contributor

I've just started a discussion about the very same thing!!

0 Kudos
roncwynn
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone looking at this?

0 Kudos
brad_morgan
Contributor
Contributor

I reported this via a support request and it was (finally) acknowledged as a bug. It took a while because the development team could not reproduce the problem (and in fact, it was only happening on one of my systems).

There is a technical review version available which fixes most of the problem but there are still some issues that have been acknowledged as needing to be fixed. I am told that the complete fix should be in the next release and may appear in a technical review, beta, or release candidate release prior to that.

I would suggest that you also open a support request for this issue.

0 Kudos
breakr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This was an issue with Workstation 8.x as well, the same happened to me. My host PC was Win 7 though, but after I plugged my blackberry into the USB to test it under Win 8(it was about to be released), it installed some drivers on the host as well and from then all of my USB periferials shut down, no power nothing. even after reboot. The only thing I could do is to remove Workstation and then remove all the usb hubs from device manager to make the host Win re initialize again. Then it was fixed.

Cheers

0 Kudos
NeverHearedOfTh
Contributor
Contributor

Dear guys

I have had the same issue. It worked one time but then stopped recognizing the USB device even in the host.

Long story short: What i did was opened the vmx file of the virtual machine. In there I found this:

ehci.present = "FALSE"

i simply paused the virtual machine. Then changed this value to "TRUE". Resumed the virtual machine and like a miracle it is working now.

I hope this helps some other people out there.

Cheers

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the entry you mentioned will only exist in very old VMs or in VMs that have been actively configured to use USB 1 only

0 Kudos