VMware Communities
Maccara
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8 trial - no permission to share VM

Host: AMD X2, 4GB, Win7 x64, WS 8.0.0 build-471780 (in trial mode)

Guest: Any

Everything else works fine (creating/cloning/running/etc), but whenever I try to share (manage->share) a VM (in order to enable automatic start for it), I just get "Insufficient permission to share this virtual machine." error. Happens on all guest types I've tried (old and newly created).

Running WS as admin (via runas) and I've verified I can modify permissions/roles etc, so WS does recognize the user ok. Also tried to assign VM_Creator / Administrator roles for other users, but does not help either. Also tried to create a new "admin" role with everything enabled, in case default roles were corrupted, but that didn't help either.

Also tested that modifying all VM dirs security settings to "Everyone" "full control" did not help (the public/docs/shared vm dir also has everyone full control).

Also turned off antivir (Avast) for testing.

Also tried to create new VM directly in the shared folders. Created ok, and then the "share" dialogue was slightly different and just said "ready to share" and as soon as I clicked ok, I got the same permission error. So problem does not seem to be directory permissions related at all.

I was originally trialing WS 7, but upgraded to WS 8 trial. I let the WS 8 installer uninstall WS 7. I've also tried reinstalling WS 8 (uninstall, removed settings too, reboot, install WS 8 with all default settings, reboot) but that doesn't help either.

I can see permission exception in hostd logs (but have no understanding what it actually means by that or how to troubleshoot further), so I'm attaching hostd configs/logs and WS config here.

I hope someone can help fixing/troubleshooting this, as I'm at loss what to try next. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Maccara
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed this issue.

Apparently something in the WS 8 installer, or first run operations, do require you are actually logged in as admin, instead of just using "run as Administrator".

Sharing now seems to work properly once I uninstalled everything (once again) logged in as proper admin and reinstalling and then using/configuring WS logged in as admin.

Soo, seems that installer design needs a bit of work (or some other part related to "first run" ops).

Nevertheless, this issue is now fixed for me, so I'm happy to continue the trial.

0 Kudos
Wilson83
Contributor
Contributor

Still reproduciable on my machine. And I have only one account - Administrator in this machine. WHY???

0 Kudos
Maccara
Contributor
Contributor

What OS?

If you have one "admin" account on Win7, you still have to use "run as admin" - or have UAC disabled - to actually run it with full privileges, just loggin in as admin is not enough. If you're still running XP, forget what I just wrote. Smiley Happy

I haven't run into this issue since the trial (and actually bought WS8 after that, currently running 8.0.4 and have installed each update in between).

0 Kudos
Wilson83
Contributor
Contributor

OS - Win 2008 SRV R2 - Standard

I shared some VMs once, but it doesn't work now. I can stop sharing, but cannot share them again.

Confirm I already give Everyone "Full control" permission.

0 Kudos