VMware Communities
dgrospelier
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8 installation error : the uninstall is automatically launched

Hi all,

I use Workstation 8.0.1.xx for a long time and I postpone the upgrade during a couple of weeks.

Tomorrow, I decided to upgrade to 8.0.3.xxx. (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64).

Unfortunately, the installation is not working, here is the trouble I met:

- The uninstallation of the previous version seems to failed. I always had the Workstation product on the installed product and when I try to uninstall it, I got "MSI failed" error. -> After hours of forums and KB articles, I decided to manually remove all the registry keys, folders, ... and now the product is not appearing anymore

- When I start the installation of the new version, with the last MSI from VMWare, I got a strange behavior :

- The installation is going well (I notice that there are no error in the log file, event in Verbose mode)

- Just after the installation, the uninstallation process is launched automatically and I got an error because it can't be done ("error 5 when running uninstall.exe).

I'm very disapointed because even if I try to reinstall the 8.0.1 version (which was running fine on my laptop), I got the same error...

Please find the vminst.log file attached to this thread. I did not notice anything weird nor any error on it...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
not sure if that is a problem .. anyway - you use a strange username DGROSP~1
I would try to install from a short username like administrator which has admin rights

0 Kudos
dgrospelier
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My user name is dgrospelier, so I'm not sure it is a strange user name and I always use this user to install previous version of VMWare WorkStation.

But I will try to use administrator to run the installation and let you know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

The uninstall program is lauuched auto because it sees that the program is alreaDy  on the HD.  Try to REINSTALLthe SAME (old)  version and you will get a screen with options to reinstall, modify or remove the program.  Choose the bootom  option (remove). Reboot   Since VmwareE IiS  now no longer on the disk the new  version should install OK with an auto lauch of the uninstaller (this almost always works but if you get the dreaded ".msi error"  messages you will havf to look thourgh the forum for many suggestions for a workaround which may workk or not).  Make sure to reboot after the new instatll even though the installer won't mention it and the WS icon will appear on the desktop.

0 Kudos