VMware Communities
CanuckWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 8 host, Win2k Guest, low display resolution, unable to upgrade windows installer

Installed a Win2K dinosaur under my Workstation 8.  Display resolution stuck at 640x480. 16 colors.

Tried to specify monitor settings, no luck. Found everyone else saying to install VMWare tools

but when I did that, I received "Setup was unable to upgrade the windows installer" in

VMWare Product Installation dialog box.

Display about the size of a cheap postcard. Barely bigger than my smartphone. Working this way feels

like changing engine valves through the exhaust pipe.

Sad to have to load Win2K again, but have no choices right now..  Smiley Sad

Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi CanuckWare,

VMware Tools runs on Win2K but it requires at least Service Pack 4 installed in the guest.  If you haven't already done so, try updating your VM to SP4 and then retry the installation of VMware Tools.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi CanuckWare,

VMware Tools runs on Win2K but it requires at least Service Pack 4 installed in the guest.  If you haven't already done so, try updating your VM to SP4 and then retry the installation of VMware Tools.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
CanuckWare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed. SP4 minimum, plus it seems, the M/S Security Update for Win2K as found in article KB835732,

and it looks like one has a couple of options for SP3, and yeah, you need the sec. update flavour.

Thanks so much. I thought solving this with this dino was going to be a while...

I can see!  I can see!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos