VMware Communities
Gork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation 8; can't resize disk on full clone

I have a linked clone I want to create a full clone from so I can expand the virtual hard drive.  But after I create the full clone and try to use the exand utility within Workstation 8 I receive an error:  "You can't expand this virutal disk because it is a linked clone."  I have tried this three times, being very careful the last two times to read all dialogue boxes to ensure I'm not making a mistake but the same error comes up each time.

These are the steps I go through:

1) Power off the linked clone

2) Delete all snapshots for the linked clone

3) File -> Open -> choose the linke clone

4) VM -> Manage -> Clone - to pen the Clone Virtual Machine Wizard; in the Wizard:

5) Pick "The current state in the virtual machine"  (I've tried both that and creating a snapshot and trying to clone from that)

6) Pick "CREATE FULL CLONE" (not "create a linked clone)

7) Name the new full cloned machine and click finish

After about 10-15 minutes I get a message indicate the full clone has finished.  I then close down VMware, open it back up, open the new full clone I created and pick chose to:  edit virtual machine settings -> Hardware tab -> click on the hard drive to be expanded -> Utilities -> Expand.  The error box I indicated above pops up and Workstation 8 won't allow me to exand the hard drive.and receive the error as indicated above.

Am I missing something here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you can confirm the new VM's virtual disk is not a snapshot disk (i.e. with 00000x.vmdk in it's name) and the vmware.log file (created after powering on the VM) does not show any other .vmdk files, you may check whether the VM's .vmsd file contains any wrong entries. Basically - after ensuring no other .vmdk files are used - you could just delete the .vmsd file.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you can confirm the new VM's virtual disk is not a snapshot disk (i.e. with 00000x.vmdk in it's name) and the vmware.log file (created after powering on the VM) does not show any other .vmdk files, you may check whether the VM's .vmsd file contains any wrong entries. Basically - after ensuring no other .vmdk files are used - you could just delete the .vmsd file.

André

0 Kudos
Gork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.  I verified the virtual disk wasn't a snapshot disk, checked the vmware.log file and found no references to parent clones.  I looked in the vmsd file and it was referencing a parent clone which it shouldn't have been, so as you suggested I deleted the file.  My problem persisted even after verifying the new vmsd file was completely empty.  I finally closed out of Workstation, deleted the newly created (and empty) vmsd file and when I started Workstation again I was able to expand the virtual drive.

Out of curiosity, why would this manual interception be necessary?  And is this a common occurence?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation keeps some files in its cache. To ensure manually edited files are re-read, it's necessary to have the VM's tab (or VMware Workstation at all) closed while editing the files.

André

0 Kudos
Gork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm tired - it's WAY past my bed time!  I re-read my posts and see I didn't ask my last question very well.

I was referring to the manual interference of having to follow the steps you outlined so Workstation doesn't think the clone is a linked clone  Is that something which happens frequently, or is it some kind of an infrequent bug...  Or perhaps you understood me just fine and was telling me I should have closed the tab and re-opened it for Workstation to realize the clone wasn't linked.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In this case I misunderstood the question.

Looks like a minor bug to me. IMO there's no reason why the entries remained in the .vmsd file for the full clone.

Sleep well Smiley Wink

André

Gork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've had a few "little issues" like this crop up over the years which I've lost a great deal of hair over - at this price point one would expect few, if any, bugs like this.  But at least they're very infrequent, and I do realize this is complicated software.

Without your help I'd have spent crazy amounts of time trying to figure this one out and may have never gotten to the bottom of it.  Again, many thanks to you and I think I'll follow through on your suggestion and hit the pillow. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos