VMware Communities
jgt1942
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8, Win7 x64, Brother MFC-6910DW not able to access scanner

On my host I have Win8.1 x64 installed. On the host I installed Workstation 10. On the VMware workstation install I installed two VMs, Win8.0 x64 and Win7 x64. On each VM I installed the appropriate Brother drivers and software for the Brother MFC-J6910DW printer. I then installed ABBYY FineReader (see http://finereader.abbyy.com/) on each VM but neither VM with FineReader is able to use the scan function on the printer. The printer is Ethernet connected and I can use the printer on the host but not the scan because there are no drivers for Win8.1. Prior to performing a clean install of Win8.1 on the host it was running Win7 x64 and the scan function worked with FineReader and the MFC-J6910DW printer. I also have a Win8.0 laptop with FineReader installed and it is able to use the scan function with the MFC-JW6910DW printer.

What the heck have I done wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jgt1942
Contributor
Contributor

I just attempted to print a test page on each VM machine but it never prints. I checked the printer in both machines

• Devices and printers
  • Right click your printer icon
  • Select see what's printing

An I see the test page in the queue, if I click on the test page and select restart nothing happens.

If I click on Printer in the menu, on both VMs the printer is online.

I also checked and both VMs are seeing the printer at the correct IP address.

0 Kudos