VMware Communities
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation 8- Upgrade VM Hardware Compatibility?

Hi;

I was wondering what the 'usual' procedure is when you upgrade from Workstation 7 to 8. Is it expected that you would normally keep the VM 'Hardware compatibility at the old '6-7' level, or is it expected that you would usually upgrade the old VM's to version 8? (At least presuming you don't have any issues where you need to maintain compatibility with other VMware products...).

I presume in either case you would normally install the version 8 tools. I have Windows 7, Windows XP and Linux Guests.

Thanks;

-Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the usual procedure was : get new version and upgrade the virtual hardware to the new level

however with WS 8 I would not do that so light heartedly
you do not know yet if it works for you  - so I would not upgrade any VM in the first few weeks
better wait until you know that WS 8 works as good as WS 7 on your host - you would not be the first to go back to WS 7

anyway - as always with risky installs like Windows updates or vmware-tools changes ... take a snapshot first

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Usually the VMware Tools are compatible with earlier versions. However, without upgrading the virtual hardware you will not be able to benefit from the new features and improvements. see http://www.vmware.com/support/ws80/doc/releasenotes_workstation_80.html#improvements

André

abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi gbohn ,

Generally if you ar going to upgrade 7 to 8 no need to upgrade any hardware , you can upgrade to 8 .if its very older version like vmware 2 to 8 in that case you need to chek all HCL list .higher version of tolls generally contain some advanced fetaures and , so better upgrade to higher version .

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the usual procedure was : get new version and upgrade the virtual hardware to the new level

however with WS 8 I would not do that so light heartedly
you do not know yet if it works for you  - so I would not upgrade any VM in the first few weeks
better wait until you know that WS 8 works as good as WS 7 on your host - you would not be the first to go back to WS 7

anyway - as always with risky installs like Windows updates or vmware-tools changes ... take a snapshot first

0 Kudos
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

> better wait until you know that WS 8 works as good as WS 7 on your host

Sadly, I already know that it doesn't for a few issues. This makes me wary or upgrading the 'hardware' level.

After just a little testing I currently have two issues.

*) The two USB drives I tried have a (Guest) performance issue where they work 6 times slower than with Workstation 7.1.5.

*) Ironically, I have a video paint issue that is better when I do upgrade  to the 8.x level (I did a 'clone' upgrade).

Sadly, updating just the guest tools doesn't help in this case.

Thanks

0 Kudos