VMware Communities
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 8.0 - How do I move .vmx & files to VMDK directory?

How do I move .vmx & files to VMDK directory?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether I understand what you are asking for. Basically you can move/copy the VM's folders as you like (assuming the files are in a single folder). All you need to do after moving/copying is to open the .vmx file through the File menu.

André

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>I'm not sure whether I understand what you are asking for. Basically you  can move/copy the VM's folders as you like (assuming the files are in a  single folder). All you need to do after moving/copying is to open the  .vmx file through the File menu.<

They aren't, and that was the problem.  By default Workstation 8 puts them into /users/<username>/My Documents/Virtual Machines.  When you make a new VM, it asks you where you want the VM, and you select where you want it.  In my case it was a different drive.  The only thing that goes where you ask, is the .vmdk file.  Even the snapshots won't go there because it won't be the working directory.

What I tried, that was logical, but didn't work is:
1.  Copy the files from the profile to the .vmdk directory, and change the following.
2. Settings / options tab / highlight General and change the working directory (worked)
3. Settings / options tab / highlight Advanced and change the Configuration file location. (doesn't work because you cannot edit it)
4.  Then I decided to simply make a new VM by pointing to the .vmx that I had copied.  That didn't work either. (works in ESXi)

I decided I don't want to play these games every time I do a VM, and in doing so I came up with this idea, which works great, and carries no risk.
1.  For Workstation, go to Edit / Preferences and setting the default location for Virtual Machines.
2.  Right-click the VM / Manage / Clone and do a full clone of the the virtual machine, which now defaults to the correct location.
3.  Right-click the VM / Manage Delete from disk.  However, it didn't delete the .vmdk so I had to do that manually.
4.  Right-click the clone / Manage / Clone and do a full clone of the the clone back to the VM, which now defaults to the correct location
5.  Right-click the clone / Manage Delete from disk.  This time you do not have to delete the .vmdk manually because it was in the same directory as the configuration files.
*Using this method, all new VMs are generated with all of the VM's files in the same location.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Stock install of Workstation 8.0.x as well as Workstation Preview. No changes to any file/preferences other then to disable update check. Host is Windows 7 with UAC slider to max from the beginning.

When I create a new VM it ask where to place the VM and I always select my work drive for this (not the default in my user profile). I checked and all files are where they belong. In my work drive in the created directories. Most if not all VMs are created via 'I will install later' option.

Strange.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sounds like a lot of work ....

here all I do is to set the "default location" in menu > edit > preferences > workspace

but I also have lots of VMs in various other paths - when I create a new one I simply give the wizard the new directory and all the steps you describe are not necessary ....

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>sounds like a lot of work ....

here all I do is to set the "default location" in menu > edit > preferences > workspace

but  I also have lots of VMs in various other paths - when I create a new  one I simply give the wizard the new directory and all the steps you  describe are not necessary ....<

I don't believe you've read the thread.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I read it twice but I still dont see what your problem is

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have re-read the posts too and all I see is that strange enough the vmdk and vmx files are on different places but thought that I spent some seconds what I do when I create a VM.

I use browse in the "Name the VM" and change drive and create a directory for the VMX file as well give it y name of my choice. Near the end there's a dialog where you add the virtual disk. While my notebook has only one harddisk accepting the default name for the vmdk results in the vmdk stored in the same directory which I have choosen in the "Name the VM" dialog. However if I browse in the VMware Workstation TP it defaults to some strange path which I must correct.

I normally don't do much when I have the choice to "name" the virtual harddisk name.

IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I read it twice but I still dont see what your problem is

1.  The problem was after I specified where to put the VM and VMDK, I ended up with the VM in the default directory, and the VMDK in the specified directory,

2.  I fixed the problem of them being in two different directories by copying them around

3.  I fixed the problem of the VM being created in the default directory by making where I store them the default directory.

Other:  This morning I set the default directory back to where it was originally.  I created three VMs using the wizard in the three ways that I normally use the wizard in an attempt to recreate the problem so that I could determine the sequence of steps necessary to recreate the problem.  Because it was so repeatable before I was confident that I could easily repeat it again.  However, I have not been successful in recreating the problem.  There is really only one method I use, and only two variations of that.  I never use Typical, I use Custom, and about the only variation is whether I start it at the end, or go check things over in settings first before I power it on.  Very seldom to I check install OS later, but I tried that too in my testing.

>However if I browse in the VMware Workstation TP it defaults to some strange path which I must correct.<

That happens to me as well.  However, in my testing this morning, if I left that alone, it DID end up in the directory specified for the VM instead of the strange path it shows when you press browse.

History
:  I've been using workstation since 6.0, and have upgraded to 6.5, and 7.x on XP.  This is a new Windows 7 64 Pro, with an 8.0 clean install.  The only upgrade that has happened here is the dot upgrade that occurred a week or two ago.  I had no reason to believe the VMs weren't being put where I specified, so it was some time before I recognized the problem.

Normally when I come here, I find others who have had the same problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time.  The only thing I can do is watch for it, and when/if it happens again, try to determine then what caused it.  There is not much else to say.

Thank you for everyone's input

0 Kudos