VMware Communities
Geotrak
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 7 host disconnect.

Having an issue where the Workstation 7 VMs stay connected to the network and internet, but the host completely disconnects. Only way to get the host to reconnect is to close VM Workstation. When I say disconnect, it acts like there is no nic installed. Then you type in a website address, nothing happens. Click a link, nothing happens. It doesn't even try to connect, no hour class, no page cannot be displayed, just like nothing happened. As soon as the VMs are closed, works perfectly.

VMs are bridged, with replication. VMs are either Win7 Tiny or XP Pro.

Host is Windows 7 Ultimate. NIC is onboard Realtek 8111E on a Asus Sabertooth 990FX MB, router DLink DIR-825, modem is a bridged Hitron gateway.

To try and resolve. I've disabled the offload options on the nic, disabled any energy saving options. I installed a second dlink nic and assigned the virtual network manager to use that nic only for the bridged network.

I do not know what else to try, its a nuisance having to turn off the VMs just to use the Host.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Geotrak
Contributor
Contributor

Should have looked closer at the logs:

A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network.  The IP address of the computer that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

nbtstat does show the hosts name listed twice in <00> and <20>  on all adapters (Local, VMnet8, VMnet1) However none of the VMs have the same computer name. What causes workstation to assume the hosts computer name and throw the duplicate message? As I say as soon as I turn off the VMs the network is restored on the host.

Puzzling.

0 Kudos