VMware Communities
drueter
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 7 Display Problem?

I am running VMware 7 on Windows XP (host) with Windows 7 (guest). I am experiencing the following display problems:

1) The display gets corrupted intermittently--often when launching an application (such as Internet Explorer) or diplaying a dialog box.

2) When "corrupted", generally the display is black and unresponsive, despite Ctrl-Alt-Del, maximize / minimize VMware, etc.

3) Once corrupted, accessing the virtual machine through RDP still works fine, but attempts to restore the display in VMware Workstation generally fail (even after F5 on the desktop, etc.) Sometimes fiddling (either in VMware or via RDP) will revive the display--but usually not.

4) Toggling to dual monitors often has a problem: either the single-screen desktop gets centered on the two monitors (with black background), or the display gets corrupted (sometimes the single-screen desktop works for a bit, but the extended display is locked and corrupted, but eventually both displays go unresponsive)

5) Problem persists with a basic (non-Aero) theme

Hardware is nothing exotic--Dell Optiplex GX 620 4 gig RAM / onboard Intel video, latest OS updates (host & guest), latest drivers (host).

Anyone else having these problems? Any known solution?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Similar issue to the WS2008R2 on ESX, the only real way is to either RDP in or change the gfx driver.

0 Kudos
drueter
Contributor
Contributor

Are you suggesting that the problem is with the display driver on the Host OS?

0 Kudos
dencoboy
Contributor
Contributor

Host: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

VMware: Workstation 7

Guest: Windows Vista Business 32-bit

I'm definitely seeing issues with dual displays. Doesn't seem to matter whether VM is setup as AutoDetect, or I specify 2 displays.

If I cycle the VM to use both displays, when I logout of the guest I get the black background across both displays with the guest centered between them. Logging into the guest doesn't change anything. If I cycle the VM again, it puts the guest on the left display. If I cycle it again, I hear the typical USB device detection sound, then the guest is finally setup to use both displays as it was originally.

I have also noticed that when cycling the display mode in the Vista guest, it takes 2-3 seconds to complete the switch.

I do not see these issues in my Windows XP Professional 32-bit guest. This VM is setup as AutoDetect displays, and once I cycle to two-display mode, it stays that way, even between logins and restarts. On a restart, the initial VMware power-on logo and the Windows boot screen are centered across both displays with a black background, but once Windows is loaded, it switches to the dual-display mode like it was before the restart.

The cycling of display modes within XP is nearly instantaneous (i.e. no 2-3 second delay as under Vista).

My hardware isn't too exotic either: Dell Optiplex 755, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT. The host was rebuilt from scratch to Windows 7 Professional with Workstation 7 last weekend. The guests were originally created on Workstation 6, then upgraded to Workstation 6.5, and now upgraded to Workstation 7.

The release notes mention something about an alternate display driver:

3D Graphics Improvements for Windows XP guests — OpenGL 2.1 and Shader Model 3.0 support is now available for Windows XP virtual machines. The XPDM (SVGAII) graphics driver works with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. However, only Windows XP virtual machines install the XPDM graphics driver by default. To switch graphics drivers in the guest operating system, see How to Switch Between SVGAII and WDDM Drivers.

I plan to try that shortly.

0 Kudos
dencoboy
Contributor
Contributor

I switched Vista guest to SVGA II driver and all is good. Dual display works perfectly and the delays when cycling display modes are gone. The only downside is no 3D/Aero. I was liking the 3D/Aero, but I didn't have it pre-v7, and I'd much rather have functional dual displays.

0 Kudos
max_inglis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you tell me how? the document everyone keeps listing is gone.

http://ITangst.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Tim504
Contributor
Contributor

There still doesn't seem to be a fix for this 3 years later.  Same problem on Win7 64bit (host and VM) with Workstation 9. RDP console to VM and close the offending program, close RDP and log back into VM and the display works again.  This problem does not occur when Java is not installed.  Happens when using IE or another program that uses Java.  Hardware is INtel Core2 Quad CPU 2.4Ghz with 8GB RAM using an NVIDIA GT6600 GT video card.

0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi drueter

Welcome to the communities.

Since how long your are facing problem ?

Have you made any changes on driver or hardware prior to that ?

What about monitor supported resolution ? .

Dont forget to check Display cable too.

Hope above option will resolve your problem.

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
0 Kudos