VMware Communities
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7 32 bit

Hi,

I switch from Windows XP PRO 32 bit  to Windows 7 PRO 32 bit. After installation of  the Workstation 7.1.4 I tried to install the VMware tools. I get a message saying : " VMware Tools installation cannot be started manually while Easy Install is in progress".

How can I stop the Easy installtion in order to update the tools?

Best regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Turn off/ignore the message until the Windows XP guest boots.  The instatll the Tools from the VM drop down menu.  A setup progdram will be loaded from the virutal CDOM. If for some reason (unlikely) the setup program doesn't autrun then run setup directly from the CDROM drive on the guest.   Try not to use Easy install - this is the root cause of your problem as it "easily" installs Tools at the wrong time. 

0 Kudos
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I did not have any problem with the Windows XP PRO 32 bit. The problem is with Windows 7 PRO 32 bit. Also when running the setup, there is no option for an Easy installation. Is Windows 7 PRO 32 bit compatible 100% with Workstation 7.1.4?

Best regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Also when running  the setup, there is no option for an Easy installation.

Easy install is active per default.

To get a reliable install procedure with results that not only work in the US use "I will install later"

> "VMware Tools installation cannot be started manually while Easy Install is in progress".

Sometimes the easy install scripts fail and the result is an inconsistent vmx-file.
I would suggest to start from scratch and install manually

0 Kudos
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Thank you for responding (danke). Which part is that  If say begin installing  from scratch?  ReInstalling the Worksation 7.1.4 or reinstalling the  Window7 32 bit?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Bamdad63 wrote: Which part is that  If say begin installing  from scratch?  ReInstalling the Worksation 7.1.4 or reinstalling the  Window7 32 bit?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Installieren Sie das Betriebssystem in der virtuellen Maschine, ohne durch Easy Install. Sie brauchen nicht zu VMware Workstation neu zu installieren.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Looks like you don't have to reinstall the VMware 7.1.4 program.  This is good.

1)  Power down the VM (looks like Windows 7 ).  Then, use VM -> Manage -> Delete From disk

2)  Then  reinstall Windows 7 using  VMware 7.1.4 but choose the  "advanced" rather than the "easy install".  On the next screen (I think) choose 'I will instatll the operating system later.  Then go through tyhe  screens to create the VM.  You can safely use the options as to Processor , Virtual Disk typle etc.  The last screen will show all your settiings .  Change them to fit the specs you want (for example remove floppy disk  if you don't have one) I usualyl increase the RAM  ot 1536 for the OS since I have 16GB  of real memory but the default RAM size will  work.  

3)  Boot the VM using the Windows 7 DVD.  Enter your S/N a usual.  After the Windows 7 boot screen comes up the VMware Tools insallation will probably start r automatically.  If it does not follow theinstructions, go  to the VM CDROM in Explorer and  run tthe  file called setup.exe  (a VM showing what is mounted on the CD will be displayed  with a small "VM" icon -cleck on that Windows 7 will ask if you want to run setup.exe.  The install the Tools and reboot  the VM.  A Tools icon will appear on the lower right of the taskbar (I think that 's the name).  Clcik on that and the Tools menu will appear.  One option is the upper one to sync time with host - I alwasys check that  but others might not.

Thsi should work - if it does not post again!

0 Kudos