VMware Communities
Teki2011
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 7.1.3 - Cannot access webserver on guest OS (RHEL 5) from Win 7 Prof (64 bit) Host on bridge or NAT

Hello,

I have been breaking my head for the last 3 days on this and going through a frustrating experience.

I am trying to access the JBOSS webserver on the guest OS running RHEL 5 from my host running windows 7(64 bit) on port 8080.

After reading through the forums and trying out several suggestions, still not successful.

Below are the details on my last few attempts:

1. Initially I tried using Bridged connection. - Disabled

a) Guest was configured to get a DHCP address. Was able to get a valid IP and able to access internet. Pinged the IP from guest and seemed to work just fine.

b) Pinged the IP from Host - worked fine.

c) Tried accessing the webserver from guest using IP address - did not work

d) Tried accessing the webserver from host using the guest IP address - did not work.

2) Changed to NAT connection.

a) Guest got the correct IP address and able to connect to internet. Pinged IP from guest and worked fine

b) Tried accessing the webserver from guest using the IP - did not work

c) Pinged from host the IP address - worked fine

d) Tried accessing the webserver from host using the IP - did not work.

Here is one funny thing -

Had a guest with WIndows 2008 server and ran the webserver with port 80. The network connection was NAT.

I was able to access the webserver from my host machine without problems.

Got encouraged and tried again - this time the web server was using a TOMCAT server and using port 6259 - worked fine from the host.

I am just dead in the water now and cant seem to figure out if it is JBOSS , VMWARE or OS issues here.

Help !!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Teki2011
Contributor
Contributor

More Notes:

1. Bridged connection had automatic bridge disabled and the wireless adapter selected for VMNET0 - sorry the statement for for bridge connection ended abruptly in disabled in my original note.

2. Disabled all firewall softwares from host and guest.

2. No other software blocking any ports.

0 Kudos
Teki2011
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for posting this - I thought this was a VMWARE issue - I found the answer to this.

This was a JBOSS mis-configuration. The server had to be started with the -b 0.0.0.0 to be visible to outside world.

I would have never debugged this if I had not run another TOMCAT server to check if that worked.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Glad you were able to find a solution.  And thank you for posting the solution here, in case someone else comes along with a similar issue!

0 Kudos