VMware Communities
Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 6x: VMWare Tools even not manual installable

Hi,

like others, I am having problems with the vmware tools installation:

- automatic installation is impossible (installation through tab hangs with the message "cancel VMware tools install"). No cdrom image appears in /media/cdrom or anywhewre else.

- manual installation doesnt work either (no /dev/hdc or other hd* or sr* devices available)

Meanwhile, I can mount "real" cdroms.

System data:

VMWare environment: workstation 6.0.2 build-59824

host: Opensuse 10.3 (64 bit kernel)

guest: ubuntu server 64 bit

Any ideas?

Thanks, Thommie

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

What about:

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

cd /tmp

tar zxf /mnt/cdrom/vmware-linux-tools.tar.gz

umount /mnt/cdrom

0 Kudos
Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Peter,

no, the simple way of mounting the /dev/cdrom device is NOT possible. No device appears for the vmware tools file. If I could download the tar.gz somewhere, I would provide it through the shared folders instead, but I don't get that file ...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can't you extract the linux.iso on your host and then upload the tarball via ssh to your ubuntu ?

louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

PMJI: Try binding the cdrom to the iso image in: /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages

There should be one in there for Linux.

Lou

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

no, the simple way of mounting the /dev/cdrom device is NOT possible. No device appears for the vmware tools file. If I could download the tar.gz somewhere, I would provide it through the shared folders instead, but I don't get that file ...

Can you post "vmware.log" file from your guest directory on host, after you attempted to install vmware tools?

0 Kudos
Paterson
Contributor
Contributor

This should do the trick

umount /media/cdrom

mount /dev/cdrom0 /media/cdrom

cp *.tgz to /tmp

cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib

./vmware-tools.pl

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Thommie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

and thanks! The hints from continuum and louyo were the right ones: scp of the iso file from the host. I just didn't know that there are the isos already available Smiley Wink

Bye Thommie

0 Kudos