VMware Communities
dweigert
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6 under Linux, Xorg 7.3 Keyboard

Hello folks,

I'm running Workstation 6 64 bit under Gentoo Linux. Recently the Xorg 7.3 release happened and after install, I started experiencing the following:

1) as long as I don't enter fullscreen mode, all is well.

2) once fullscreen mode is entered, when I switch back to the Linux desktop, the shift, control, and capslock keys no longer function. Nothing will get this back to normal, short of restarting X. xev shows key presses and releases as normal.

I'm not sure if this is due to the API change in the latest version of X, or if it is a bug in X.

Has anyone run itnto this, or have a workaround?

Dan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
67 Replies
PDub
Contributor
Contributor

Download the bundle file for your platform (64bit or 32bit) then,

sudo sh name_of_bundle

It has a nice graphical installer now.

0 Kudos
starfear
Contributor
Contributor

I solve problem for me!

I use XP on KUbuntu 8.04.01 vmware server 1.0.7

1. In XP I turn ON remote access.

2. In Kubuntu I launch: rdesktop -u user1 -g 1680x1000 -a 16 -x l -r clipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD 192.168.22.129

where 192.168.22.129 IP address XP.

3. For ClearType IN XP SP3 I use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"AllowFontAntiAlias"=dword:00000001

"AllowFontAntiAlias"=dword:00000001

Now My Desktop:

0 Kudos
VMbuseck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

What is the final solution to this issue ? I have upgraded my system from dapper LTS to hardy LTS and now I have this strange CTRL-ALT-SHIFT problem using VMware 1.0.6.

Greetings M.

DELL D510, kubuntu hardy * 2 FSC Multitainer 800 MHz, debian etch * all system with VMware server 1.0.6

♲ 2 Intel Atom Home-Server with Debian Squeeze (Kernel 2.6) ♲ DELL D830 with Debian Squeeze ♲ Asus EEE with Ubuntu Lucid ♲ All system - except the EEE - with VMware server 1.0.10 ♲
0 Kudos
Captain_Trav
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see this issue under Hardy with VMWare Server 2.0... I'm not a real big fan of the web-based nature of Server 2.0 when using it on a stand-alone machine, but this issue is gone at least.

0 Kudos
VMbuseck
Contributor
Contributor

I don't see this issue under Hardy with VMWare Server 2.0... I'm not a real big fan of the web-based nature of Server 2.0 when using it on a stand-alone machine, but this issue is gone at least.

But I wont use 2.0...

I tried 1.0.8, but the problem also occurs in that release.

DELL D510, kubuntu hardy * 2 FSC Multitainer 800 MHz, debian etch * all system with VMware server 1.0.6

♲ 2 Intel Atom Home-Server with Debian Squeeze (Kernel 2.6) ♲ DELL D830 with Debian Squeeze ♲ Asus EEE with Ubuntu Lucid ♲ All system - except the EEE - with VMware server 1.0.10 ♲
0 Kudos
sgsax
Contributor
Contributor

Problem still persists. After leaving the VMWare Workstation window without releasing the keyboard (CTRL-ALT), the host keymap is lost, disabling control keys (CTRL, ALT, TAB, CapsLock, NumLock, and probably others) and the spacebar. Anybody at VMWare watching this thread? Fix this, please.

Host distro: Ubuntu 9.04

OS kernel: Linux 2-6-28-13-generic (standard ubuntu stock kernel)

X.org: 7.4

VMWare Workstation: 6.5.2 build-156735

I've tried setting my keyboard layout to "Generic 104-key PC" and "evdev-managed keyboard", neither fixes the problem permanently. My current "solution" is a bash alias that maps to "setxkbmap -synch". While this allows me to keep working without having to restart my X session, I find it really annoying. I'm paying good money for this software, it should play nicer.

The problem occurs when using VMWare Player, as well. I haven't noticed it with VMWare Server Console, yet.

Seth

0 Kudos
rsk02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try opening a terminal window and typing "setxkbmap". This worked for me and there are numerous posts about this particular workaround on the web.

Edit: The scripting doesn't always work for me. Problem is most obvious after resuming from suspend.

0 Kudos
sgsax
Contributor
Contributor

Right, I mentioned I did that and it "works". I'm just saying that the application is not "well-behaved" and I shouldn't have to use a workaround like this. Somebody should fix this. There are days when I love VMWare, and days when it drives me absolutely nuts. Today was definitely in the latter category.

Seth

0 Kudos