VMware Communities
dweigert
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6 under Linux, Xorg 7.3 Keyboard

Hello folks,

I'm running Workstation 6 64 bit under Gentoo Linux. Recently the Xorg 7.3 release happened and after install, I started experiencing the following:

1) as long as I don't enter fullscreen mode, all is well.

2) once fullscreen mode is entered, when I switch back to the Linux desktop, the shift, control, and capslock keys no longer function. Nothing will get this back to normal, short of restarting X. xev shows key presses and releases as normal.

I'm not sure if this is due to the API change in the latest version of X, or if it is a bug in X.

Has anyone run itnto this, or have a workaround?

Dan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
67 Replies
pangloss
Contributor
Contributor

This is indeed an annoyance. Any word from the VMWare folks on a proper fix forthcoming? FYI, I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 and VMWare Workstation 6.0.3

0 Kudos
ARnyX
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem in mandriva 2008.1 adn VMWare Workstation 6.0.3. When will be the problem fix because this is very big problem for my work?

0 Kudos
jra_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I've been checking and comparing multiple configurations various VMware softwares:

- Debian Etch

- Debian Sid

- Ubuntu 7.10

- Ubuntu 8.04

I used VMware Server (1.0.4 and 1.0.5), VMware Workstation (6.0.1 to 6.0.3), VMware Player 2 and VMware 2 Beta.

The bug occured on Debian Sid and Ubuntu 8.04.

The configuration files were set identically for all the VMware softwares, the X server and every input/output device (actually, the same computer was used for all these tests).

The only common point between the systems on which the bug was triggered, is the use of Xorg 7.3.

I've seen it triggered when pressing CTRL+ALT (even if not used to enter fullscreen), using the copy/paste feature (after having installed the VMware tools), by installing the VMware tools and not rebooting.

When entering fullscreen using the button in the GUI, my shift/alt/control keys stay OK.

I can fix the keyboard using the setxkbmap command I already mentioned in a post before.

I'm sure that VMware is reading this thread, and that some people are already using Ubuntu 8.04 with Xorg 7.3. So they will soon find about this bug, and at least find the real cause, so the bug can be sent upstream (to the X.Org development team for example) if needed, or correct VMware softwares themselves.

0 Kudos
jakobbg
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this problem on a Dell D820 running Hardy Heron and VMWare Server 1.0.5, with Windows XP as guest OS. Hope this can get a more permanent fix, at least when VMware Server 2.0 is out.

0 Kudos
nihil_declaro
Contributor
Contributor

I also confirm this bug; Thinkpad T61; VMware Workstation 6.0.3 with Ubuntu 8.04 x64 as host and Windows XP Professional as guest. I hope this bug can be fixed soon.

0 Kudos
gnatynaaa
Contributor
Contributor

Have the same problem.

uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Mar 27 14:47:43 CET 2008 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz GNU/Linux

VMware-workstation-6.0.3-80004.i386

Mandriva 2008.1

using such workaround: use KDE keyborad layouts, after CtrlAltEnter for vmware, just duble press Capslock(twice change layout) - and it works again.

0 Kudos
Kabum
Contributor
Contributor

I installed kcontrol on my Ubuntu 8.04, but it does not have the Keyboard Layout option under Regional and Accessibility.

Do you know what else should be installed to have this feature to appear?

Thank you

0 Kudos
gnatynaaa
Contributor
Contributor

i've tried vmware workstation 6.5 beta. on mandriva 2008.1 with kernel 2.6.24.4-laptop-3mnb and Xorg 7.2. got the same bug. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
pruna
Contributor
Contributor

I'm facing the same problem. But with a different combination of soft:

openSuse 10.2, VMware-server-1.0.4-56528, Xorg 7.2, and WindowMaker.

It's not necesary to go full screen for error to happen. It disables ctrl and shift keys, but nothings hungs.

0 Kudos
Captain_Trav
Contributor
Contributor

I suspect this is a case of VMware shipping outdated libraries. This has caused troubles (though more minor) on Ubuntu and Debian in the past. I've removed /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.o from my system, and am testing it out. So far so good, but I am using a VNC session to connect to the host machine, so maybe it's meaningless. One thing I know is that many of the libraries in /usr/lib/vmware/lib are unnecessary on many machines, and an outdated or conflicting version there is a problem waiting to happen.

0 Kudos
gnatynaaa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. good idea. i've made some test, but no success achived Smiley Sad

I've tried on mandriva 2008.1(install all that libraries which i found),

vmware use only 6 libraries from vmware/lib

\[root@localhost lib\]# lsof -c vmware|grep vmware/lib

vmware 12941 smoker mem REG 3,1 200032 44782 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7/libssl.so.0.9.7

vmware 12941 smoker mem REG 3,1 1092548 21507 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7/libcrypto.so.0.9.7

vmware 12941 smoker mem REG 3,1 10141996 73917 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwareui.so.0/libvmwareui.so.0

vmware 12941 smoker mem REG 3,1 4189576 73913 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0

vmware 12941 smoker mem REG 3,1 361744 44787 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libview.so.2/libview.so.2

vmware 12941 smoker mem REG 3,1 126448 21511 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libexpat.so.0/libexpat.so.0

no effect, same bug with no Shift button

also i've tried `env VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=yes vmware` , but with no success too.

0 Kudos
starfear
Contributor
Contributor

I solve this problem partly.

Edit -> Preferences -> Input -> Keyboard and Mouse

uncheck -> Grab keyboard ... on mouse click

check -> Grab keyboard ... on key press

If you don't in focus VM, you can press ctrl-alt-enter for full screen without problem.

Kubuntu 8.04, linux-rt, nvidia-glx, vmware-server 1.05.

0 Kudos
Marcus_Aurelius
Contributor
Contributor

Actually for regular Ubuntu Distro with Gnome desktop you can simply use your system settings and change the keyboard layout there. No need for kcontrol which is KDE's desktop only.

BTW: The keyboard layout fix worked for me also.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Have a look at this comment in the Ubuntu Launchpad:

[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/source/xorg/bug/195982/comments/110]

It finally brings some light into this case.

0 Kudos
Setya
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

i also experience the same problem, but mine is vmware server 1.0.6 on xubuntu hardy, in fact i type this message with the problem on that's why you don't see any capitalized letters. sorry for that.

regards,

setya

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 with the 2.6.24.18 x64 kernel and NVidia 169.12 drivers and Gnome 2.22 on a stinkpad t61p. I started with WS 6.0.3 and upgraded to 6.0.4. I have just upgraded to the latest 6.5 beta. I have never had an issue with running winders in full screen mode.

Dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
rinoco
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same problem in Debian Lenny.

The setxkbmap solution works, but it's still annoying.

6.0.4 Build 93057 hasn't fixed the problem yet.

0 Kudos
willdeans
Contributor
Contributor

<!--

@page

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }

-->

Fedoraproject.org alone was visited by

over a million unique IP addresses last month. Even if VMWare does

not wish to officially support Fedora, Ubuntu, and all the other

distributions this bug effects couldn't they fix it anyway since it

so seriously impacts unsupported use?

Think about what VMWare is doing by not

devoting the minuscule insignificant amount of resources necessary to

this. Is VMWare saying it doesn't support these distributions or are

they saying they don't want people to use their product at all on

these distributions? I propose VMWare Genuine Advantage which

ensures you must somehow break the DMCA to run on an unsupported

distribution and a new VMWare sponsored industry group which sues

their users who do.

SOMEONE AT VMWARE: Regardless of

company policy please think for a minute about what the right thing

to do is in this situation and then do the right thing. If I can

show you my ESX license keys costing $1000's of dollars can you fix

this so that I can export VM's to my Thinkpad and run them in VMWare

player?

Thank You for Your Time,

William

PS: I have the problem with a fully patched Fedora 9 and VMPlayer (latest version as of this posting). I also had to use the any-any patch and another patch for madwifi. If there is extra time how about throwing in some #ifdef's or whatever to eliminate the need for those as well?

0 Kudos
willdeans
Contributor
Contributor

Running setxkbmap every time it happens solves the symptom for me.

See more information at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/source/xorg/bug/195982

PS:

Perhaps my last post was a little strong-worded. What I meant to say is VMWare, pretty please fix this problem.

0 Kudos
PDub
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex w/ Xorg 7.4 and VMware Workstation 6.0.4 and the problem still exists. Keyboard modifiers are gone.

I was hoping that Xorg 7.4 might solve the problem, even though it appears to be a VMware issue.

I really hope VMware fixes this problem soon, I have two labs to build and would really like to use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. The various hacks and workarounds are just not acceptable.

Will have to try VirtualBox or Parallels if this is not fixed soon.

0 Kudos