VMware Communities
Eric_N_
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.5 with vista sp1 x64 - NAT service dying

After upgrading to version 6.5, the VMNAT service dies every few minutes. I am seeing the following error in the event log on the physical workstation:

Faulting application vmnat.exe, version 6.5.0.4558, time stamp 0x48d2fb61, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002f897, process id 0xc28, application start time 0x01c9228ae85caf3d.

Has anyone seen this?

This computer is a recent upgrade from workstation 6

0 Kudos
25 Replies
alexchern
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue in both Vista 32 bit and Windows Server 2008 32 bit host operating systems. VMWare Workstation 6.5.0.118166

0 Kudos
cpvaig
Contributor
Contributor

I made stated the same problem in a separate post. I even went to make sure I was using the latest Intel drivers and now, I can't even start the NAT service. (Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Are there error messages about this in the event log?

Probably not too helpful, but you could try and start it from the command line and see if there's additional information like an error message.

net stop "VMware NAT Service"
net start "VMware NAT Service"

You might have to start the command line as administrator in order for the above to run. Do this by clicking on the Start button and type cmd in the Search bar and then using key combination <alt>--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
cpvaig
Contributor
Contributor

Faulting application vmnat.exe, version 6.5.0.4558, time stamp 0x48d2fb61, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002f897, process id 0xf00, application start time 0x01c927e253aa2602.

Really doesn't say much, because ntdll.dll has a variety of involvments on the OS. I have been cruising the posts and there are three patterns for this and similar problems: Vista 64x, SP1, Upgrade to 6.5; I also found another individual with the same NIC card as mine - including the three aforementioned patterns.

I think somebody didn't complete their QA tests at VMWare...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm... have you checked if there is a firmware or driver update available for your NIC... that bit is suspicious if you see it mentioned on the exact same NIC model and OS.

Yes NTDLL is a part of windows, deep you could say and it usually is drivers when something that deep goes wrong. Not everything is in complete control of VMware at all times.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
cpvaig
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did upgrade the latest driver... now I can't get any connectivity... I am seeing more of this problem listed on the community board - and on the internet - since the upgrade for 6.5 has been posted. Curious, the technical support person I am communicating with keeps telling me to do a VM hardware update after I do the installer? what the heck is that? I have only seen the installation package, then the vmtools... am I missing something?

0 Kudos
cpvaig
Contributor
Contributor

I changed tsoenable to 0 on the guest VM Network connection and change to bridged mode.... now I have connectivity...

0 Kudos
crustydemon1208
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a similar problem with workstation 6.5 and vista 32bits but on the physical host. I can connect to internet with the guest operating systems but my physical host ethernet cards won't take DHCP address and all connectivity from the physical host to the external world is impossible. i am getting in both Wireless and Direct Cable IP starting 169.

Has anyone had this issue ? i have seen a couple of posts with w2K and problem with Registry but nothing with Vista

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Curious, the technical support person I am communicating with keeps telling me to do a VM hardware update after I do the installer? what the heck is that? I have only seen the installation package, then the vmtools... am I missing something?

Your virtual machine doesn't talk directly to the hardware. Instead it talks to a set of virtualized hardware devices. The hardware is virtual and also progresses while the whole product grows and is improved. You can upgrade the virtual hardware of your virtual machine by shutting the machine down first. Then select "Change version" from the context menu (right click) and follow the steps in the wizard..

I would suggest to take a backup from your VM -when shut down- before doing the hardware upgrade on your virtual machine.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Cool, congrats!

: it is best to start your own discussion.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
crustydemon1208
Contributor
Contributor

Ok will do ... thanks

0 Kudos
carlt2
Contributor
Contributor

The problem isn't specific to Vista or 64 bit versions. I encountered a similar problem on W2K3 server, 32 bit after upgrading to Workstation 6.5:

Faulting application vmnat.exe, version 6.5.0.4558, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0002caa2.

VMNat.exe was attempting to read memory at 0x00000000.

Following the information in thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/171399, I performed the "Change Version" and upgraded to the 6.5 version. So far that seems to have stopped the crash.

0 Kudos
smuckers
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading the VM to version 6.5 doesn't resolve my NAT service crashing issue. Host 32-bit Vista SP1, guest 32-bit XP SP3.

0 Kudos
jjesse
Contributor
Contributor

All of my VM's are currently upgraded to the correct version and still having problems iwth this. I had no problems with Vista 64 bit and then upgraded to SP1 and started having the problem.

JOnathan

0 Kudos
drbohner
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto - all above.

Upgraded to 6.5

Upgraded VM

Upgraded VM Tools

Still crashing VMWare NAT service any time there is bandwidth.

Come One VMWare - do you want us to start using M$??? You have to do a better job QC'in than this!

(db)

(db)
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that this will be addressed in the next maintenance release.

0 Kudos
jexp77
Contributor
Contributor

Any ideas on the release date for this issue.... still getting it daily. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
smuckers
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. Are we talking weeks or months?

0 Kudos
thool
Contributor
Contributor

To support all others and to stress vmware the importance of fixing this. I'm starting having difficults supporting my customers and is seriously thinking of changing to other VM-app. Please give us some time frame. Any information is betterthan none.

BR

//Thomas

0 Kudos