VMware Communities
Althaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 6.5 to 7.1 and cpus

Hello,

I have upgraded from 6.5 to 7.1.

I would like to add some more processors to my ubuntu (go from dual to quad cpu). Unfortunately, I have a max of 2 cpu's in the cpu parameters of the VM. If I try to creat a new VM I can chose more, but not upgrade the VM created in v6.5.

How can I fix this ?

Extra question : what difference is there in between choosing 4 virtual CPU's or 2 dual core virtual cpu's in the VMware configuration ?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your VM consists of virtual hardware and VMware consistently improves this.

For a list of HW versions see KB1003746 - Virtual machine hardware versions

I assume your VM is based on HW version 6 and what you need is HW version 7. (You can see it in the vmx file - "virtualHW.version")

To update the virtual hardware, shut down your VM, select it in the VMware Workstation GUI, right click and select "Upgrade or change version.."

I recommend you take a snapshot prior to update the hardware.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would like to add some more processors to my ubuntu (go from dual to quad cpu). Unfortunately, I have a max of 2 cpu's in the cpu parameters of the VM. If I try to creat a new VM I can chose more, but not upgrade the VM created in v6.5.

How can I fix this ?

This depends on the HW version of your VM. You may need to upgrade the HW version by selecting "Upgrade or change version.." in the inventory.

Extra question : what difference is there in between choosing 4 virtual CPU's or 2 dual core virtual cpu's in the VMware configuration ?

The difference is the representation in the guest OS. Some OS's only support 2 CPU's (XP, Windows 7, ...) however they support multi core CPU's.

Be careful with adding more vCPUs to the VM. Depending on your configuration, this could degrade performance!!!

Only assign as many vCPUs as really needed.

André

0 Kudos
Althaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your awnser, I dont know what you mean by changing the HW version in the inventory ?

In the list of hardware I have Processors, and can chose only to have 1 or 2 processors and the number of cores is deactivated (with value 1).

For the host, well, I have a hexacore processor that I got for the job because some of my VM do a lot of // calc jobs. So ther's more real CPU's than virtual ones being used at any time.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your VM consists of virtual hardware and VMware consistently improves this.

For a list of HW versions see KB1003746 - Virtual machine hardware versions

I assume your VM is based on HW version 6 and what you need is HW version 7. (You can see it in the vmx file - "virtualHW.version")

To update the virtual hardware, shut down your VM, select it in the VMware Workstation GUI, right click and select "Upgrade or change version.."

I recommend you take a snapshot prior to update the hardware.

André

0 Kudos
Althaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the correct right click menu (its a bit lost !) and upgraded the hardware version.

I now have 4 cpu's and my Ubuntu server spits its results literally 2x faster :smileygrin:

Thank's

0 Kudos