VMware Communities
wardeaux
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.5 Vista Home Premium 64bit certain protocols not working

Running Workstation 6.5 on vista Home Premium 64bit laptop with 8gb ram. The VM is copied from desktop with Vista Business 32 bit, vm was created as workstation 5.x vm with VMConverter 3.0 and is running under VMServer 1.6. On desktop environment PPTP and FTP work fine from the GUEST OS. Under laptop neither of these services seem to function from the GUEST VM while they work fine from the HOST OS. I tried upgrading the VMWare TOOLS to match the workstation version but when i do that NONE of the networking works, and video/mouse/scsi/etc drivers don't install even manually so i leave the old tools installed.

Is there some config i need to do on the HOST VMWare Network adapters to enable the specific protocols or security or whatever is not set up correctly?

MTIA

wardeaux

0 Kudos
12 Replies
wardeaux
Contributor
Contributor

BTW the GUEST vm is WinXP Pro 32 bit

wardeaux

0 Kudos
tmbarton
Contributor
Contributor

You don't use AVG antivirus on the host laptop, do you? If so, or even if not, what happens if you turn off the host's firewall software? See my post http://communities.vmware.com/thread/179344 which might describe a similar problem with a similar setup.

Trevor

0 Kudos
wardeaux
Contributor
Contributor

Hi trevor,

there are several similarities, but im not using avg and i've turned the windows firewall off but same issue... i've noticed though that while i've bridged the guest vm to my network, the guest is not getting a valid ip from my network dhcp. Network DHCP should return ip in range of 10.1.1.x and the guest vmnet adapters are 192.168.x.x... maybe a clue to my issue... any thoughts?

thanks!!

wardeaux

0 Kudos
tmbarton
Contributor
Contributor

Heh I'd say that's the root cause of your problems, try forcing the IP address to something in the 10.1.1. range to see if it springs into life. Sounds more like a DHCP issue to me, is your DHCP server set to reject unknown MAC addresses, for instance? The MAC address of your virtual network adapters can change unless you've explicitely set it to be static.

Trevor

0 Kudos
wardeaux
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the suggestion, trevor. i'll try that when i get a chance! I filter mac addresses when wireless, but this is a stock wired ethernet connection... IF this is the issue, any idea why the dhcp would work on the 32bit host and not the 64bit host? BTW, what should the ips be on the host vmware virt network connections? should they match the 10.1.1.x range as well?

wardeaux

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If applicable, you might want to try changing your Guest VM Networking Configuration from NAT to Bridged.

0 Kudos
tmbarton
Contributor
Contributor

Re 32/64bit differences, no idea, I'm afraid.

The host's virtual network addresses aren't necessarily in the same range as the bridged connection as I understand it.

0 Kudos
wardeaux
Contributor
Contributor

OK... after much tweaking i decided to create a whole new VM here is my configuration:

Host:

64bit Vista Ultimate

HTTP: fine

FTP: fine

VPN to server on internet location: fine

Guest:

32bit Vista Business

HTTP: fine

FTP:fine

VPN to same location as host: NOT completing*

• By "Not Completing" i mean that login connects but gets to the "Verifying username and password" and does not progress... I've double checked the settings and everything on the Guest settings is same as Host settings which leads me to believe there is a configuration issue in the host networking which is preventing the completion of the vpn login... any ideas?

MTIA

wardeaux

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which VPN client are you using?

0 Kudos
wardeaux
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scissor,

I'm using the standard VPN connection that comes with Vista OS... "Connect to network" and define the VPN connection settings... then click "Connect to..."

wardeaux

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok.

Another question: Are you trying to VPN in on the Guest after your Host is already connected over VPN? If so, as a test try the Guest VPN first (before the Host VPN).

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh, can you also attach the following information to a reply?

- ipconfig run from the Host

- ipconfig run from the Guest

- your Guest .vmx file

- the Vmware.log file from your Guest's folder.

0 Kudos