VMware Communities
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 6.5.3 success "out of the box" on kernel 2.6.31

I'm pleased to report success "out of the box", running VMware Workstation 6.5.3 (64-bit) on a Linux kernel 2.6.31 host.

When upgrading to this new kernel, after rebooting into it and making sure the new kernel came up OK, I ran this command to recompile VMware's kernel modules to match the new kernel:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Then, I tried starting the VMware service again, so that it picks up the new modules:

/etc/init.d/vmware restart

That seemed to do it. The VMware Workstation interface started up OK. I'm running a few virtual machines now. They seem normal. No obvious bugs seen yet.

The modules produce warnings when compiled, but they all successfully compile. There are no more module errors. So, it looks like my patches are no longer necessary Smiley Happy

Thanks to all who helped test and use them!

Josh

0 Kudos
8 Replies
h2-2
Contributor
Contributor

yes, it worked fine here too with vmware player 2.5.3, the one thing I forgot to test was the unpatched install, which worked fine. Thanks for your fine patching work, that stuff can be very tedious to keep up with, so it was appreciated.

0 Kudos
rgbatduke
Contributor
Contributor

I had horrendous difficulties getting the 6.5.3 RPM to install under Fedora 11 -- the install script seemed to want to rebuild certain make targets three times and got somehow wedged. I finally had to go in and gently and systematically kill the hung processes (without breaking out of the rpm install) until it freed up the script to finish; crossing my fingers that all of the essential components built. I then had to rebuild the usual drivers and so on for the kernel.

Once installed it seems to work on my intel 64 bit system running 2.6.30-5-43.fc11.x86_64. It even automatically rebuilt when the kernel upgraded.

Sound still doesn't work. I've tried everything I can find to get alsa to work including alsa-oss; vmware simply laughs at pulse audio and/or alsa, which is a pretty serious problem. Fortunately I don't "need" it for anything more critical than games, but hey, games are important enough and I'd LIKE to be able to use Explorer to play various media that are still difficult under Linux.

If anybody has the same difficulty I describe with the rpm, what I got to work was:

a) Going to the build directory and running make to finish building the two modules -- I can't remember their names or find the directory now (all gone) but they were both kernel modules I think. The make process was stuck in the process of building the second one.

b) Killing off the hung processes. ps aux | grep vmw and then work your way slowly up the PID chain with kills (one thing I had to kill -9) until the install frees up and finishes.

c) Run vmware-modconfig --console --install-all one last time to make sure everything is OK to go.

I didn't bother opening the RPM and trying to figure out what is broken in the install script. No time, not open source free as in air. I do hope that the vmware people actually think about supporting their product a bit better. I like the workstation interface (and use the server package professionally) but there are alternatives out there, and if sound doesn't work soon I'm going to give a shot to exploring them.

rgb

0 Kudos
Palooka
Contributor
Contributor

To get sound to work in an XP VM on a Fedora 11 host (32 bit), I edited /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf and uncommented the line as mentioned.

All other sound settings are defaults.

By the way, for what it's worth I don't run pcscd on the host, and I have removed USB from the guest, as I had read that they cause conflicts - at least in an earlier version. I don't know if that is still the case, but I don't need either anyway, so haven't bothered retrying.

HTH.

Palooka

0 Kudos
ran
Contributor
Contributor

no success;

still have kayboard/mouse problem ( at 6.5.2, 7 beta as well ) at my Linux Notebook 2.6.31-2.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Sep 10 00:25:40 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

No keyboard/mouse at guest system after starting. I can active

keyboard/mouse by selecting "Grab Input" in menu (or pressing Ctrl+G),

when I try back to main system by pressing Ctrl+Alt guest system

crashed. The message I get:

vmware-vmx-debug: xcb_io.c:542: XRead: Assertion `dpy->xcb->replydata != ((void *)0)' failed.

Caught signal 6 -- tid 2510

Unexpected signal: 6.

Core dumped.

0 Kudos
pmenier
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

@Krellan

Do you plan to make a patch available for vmware-server-2.0.1 on x86_64 ? I'd like to do it but i'm not a C programmer, so i can just test...

Thanks

Patrick

0 Kudos
ran
Contributor
Contributor

Follow http://communities.vmware.com/thread/228636?start=30&tstart=0 I set export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=force and it give me chance to grab input for guest system by mouse click, but I could not back to host system:vmware-vmx-debug: xcb_io.c:542: XRead: Assertion `dpy->xcb->replydata != ((void *)0)' failed.

Caught signal 6 -- tid 2510

Core dumped.

Still waiting a solution.

0 Kudos
jrminter
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem with mouse/keyboard issues with VMware-Workstation-6.5.3-185404 under Mandriva 2010.0 RC1 with kernel 2.6.31.1-desktop-1mnb. I start VMWare, then boot my WinXP virtual machine. I have to Cntl-G to put input into the machine (it puts this into the password dialog) I can backspace and enter the password into the dialog, but the mouse doen't let me enter "OK". I can, however, tab to the OK box and hit enter. Input doesn't work until switch into "Unity" mode. Then I can start applications from the Unity menu. To shutdown the machine, I have to choose "run" from the menu, cmd, then type "shutdown -s -t 0" in the window. Kludgy, but at least usable. I would greatly appreciate a patch/update to get things working again.

HTH,

John Minter

0 Kudos
ran
Contributor
Contributor

New release(Workstation7/203739), but old problem at my Linux Notebook

2.6.31.5-96.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Oct 23 19:30:30 EDT 2009 x86_64

x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

1) Install script:

The product is ready to be installed. Press Enter to begin

installation or Ctrl-C to cancel.

Installing VMware Player Application 3.0.0

Configuring...Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/vmis.5jQX4X/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 73, in emit

if self.shouldRollover(record):

File "/tmp/vmis.5jQX4X/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 146, in shouldRollover

msg = "%s\n" % self.format(record)

File "/tmp/vmis.5jQX4X/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 630, in format

return fmt.format(record)

File "/tmp/vmis.5jQX4X/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 421, in format

s = self._fmt % record.__dict__

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 620: ordinaInstalling VMware Workstation 7.0.0

Configuring...

##################################################################### 100%

Installation was successful.

2) And same keyboard problem: can not back to host system by pressing Ctrl+Alt - guest system

crashed. The message I get:vmware-vmx: xcb_io.c:542: _XRead: Assertion

`dpy->xcb->reply_data != ((void *)0)' failed.

So still waiting

0 Kudos