VMware Communities
gyrodog
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.5.2 installed on Windows 7 RC

I have upgraded a Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 RC. I had VMWorkstation 6.5.1 working on the Vista. After the upgrade, the VMWorstation program would start just fine but the networking was broken. The 6.5.1 version could not recognize the physical adapters. I could also confirm this by running ipconfig /all and the " VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnetx)" were not visible.

So, I decided to update to VMWorkstation 6.5.2. This version could now see the phyical adapters and showed up in ipconfig /all results. However, here is what I am experiencing.

vmnet0, vmnet1, vmnet3, vmnet8 show up in the DHCP tab and all other settings were default in the Virtual Network Editor. I have a Windows XP SP2 guest that, when started, was trying to obtain an IP address. It could not because in the properties of the DHCP for vmnet0 on the "Host Virtual Network Mapping" tab, the dhcp settings were empty. Now, I know that this is probably the way it supposed to be because it is suppoed to automatically bridge to vmnet1, I think. Anyway, I set a range for the dhcp and the guest now had an ip address. However, it couldn't ping anything.

So, next, I deleted vmnet0 from the DHCP tab, and now the guest XP machine gets the vmnet1 ip that is configured in its range and it can ping internet addresses. The only problem is that when I open IE, it cant open any web pages. Again, I can ping every address on the internet so icmp is working outbound.

Next, I figured there are a lot of new firewall rules in Windows 7, so I checked and it seems there is a vm-authd inbound rules that are created automatically. The only thing is I am not familiar enough to know what else to check to see if it is Windows 7 that would be blocking Http or some other protocol.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Now, I know that this is probably the way it supposed to be because it is suppoed to automatically bridge to vmnet1 ...

Hmm - sounds like you have changed all defaults ... VMware-dhcp should not be configured to work with vmnet0 - as this is used for bridged by default.

Also vmnet1 should never be used for bridged networks ...

I suggest to uninstall and re-install again and then keep the defaults as they are.

Also read the posts about Windows 7 - there are some known issues ...

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Try this

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
gyrodog
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks to both you for your suggestions. I ended up re-installing. Everything is now default in the networking. I still have the issue of the Windows XP not having an ip addresss when using the bridged configuration. If I change to NAT, it gets an ip, can ping the internet, but will not let IE open a webpage. I also mistated earlier that it was SP2. It is actually Windows XP SP3.

I also have an ubuntu vm. I fired this one up after the fresh installed, using the brigded connection, and the firefox on that o/s was able to connect to the internet successfully. So I am stuck with the XP issue. It seems that the Vmware bridging is functioning properly, just not with Windows XP.

The reason I need the Windows XP is that there is a version of a program that only works on XP and will not work on Windows 7.

Any more suggestions around the XP would be appreciated. One message I am seeing if I do a ipconfig /renew is this....

"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address."

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

how exactly did you configure the XP-guest ?

0 Kudos
gyrodog
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I just left it default. Bridged on the vmworkstation vmnet0 and obviously dhcp inside the xp o/s. I tried the "Replicate Physical Network Connection" checked and unchecked and I get the same error.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what about firewalls ?

0 Kudos
gyrodog
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, well, I did turn off all firewalls to test. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I am not sure if Windows 7 is blocking something. Also, the issue is pretty clear, the ip address that is being assigned to the guest is conflicting with something else on the network.

One thing I forgot to mention, I am traveling Canada for two weeks, so I am on a hotel network that is handing me an ip address with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0. Dont know if that would make a difference.

0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Make sure that Automatically detect settings enabled in internet explorer settings

Also post the error screen shot of IE with the website entered status

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
breakr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not a configuration problem. This is simply because VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 doe snot working under Win 7 RC1. I have excatly the same problem as you, and tried to configure manually the network, with all the adapters. I can ping outside, but http just does not want to work.

I am awaiting from developers to supply a patch to fix this, as normally bridging should work, as it does under a vista/XP host machine.

Regards

0 Kudos
gyrodog
Contributor
Contributor

breakr,

Thanks for confirming this issue and that I am not crazy. If you recieve a fix please let me know if you make it back around to this thread.

0 Kudos
breakr
Contributor
Contributor

gyrodog,

Personally I will not receive the fix, but there were other topics like this claiming about the Win7 problem - I am expecting this to be fixed by the dev team.

There is obviously something different in Win 7 from the previous OS-es, maybe winsock.. not sure

Regards

0 Kudos