VMware Communities
langerc
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.5.1 fails to install openSUSE 11.1

Installation of openSUSE 11.1 fails with blue screen "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" on Win XP x64 host. The VM has been created using the "new VM wizard" and default values were accepted. The installation was started from DVD (original media) and text mode installation was chosen. Blue screen comes up only a few seconds after the installation has started.

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks, Christian

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

openSUSE 11.1 32-bit or 64-bit?

Post the .vmx file

Post the vmware.log file

Keep in mind that openSUSE 11.1 is not a supported guest OS at this time

http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

0 Kudos
langerc
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to install a 32-bit openSUSE 11.1 client. My hardware is not capable to run 64-bit client.

Please find the .vmx file and the .log file attached, as requested... Christian

0 Kudos
langerc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, do you have any thoughts what I could do to get around this problem? To me it seems as if the system is crashing when it starts writing to the virtual disk. Is it possible that I've got a problem with my SATA/IDE/RAID drivers?

Thanks, Christian

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you been able to install other Guests without problems?

Check to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your Host Video card.

This is just a guess, but try disconnecting your "D-Link\ USB\ 2.0\ All-in-1\ Card\ Reader" USB device from the Host before starting Workstation.

0 Kudos
langerc
Contributor
Contributor

Windows XP installation from CD works fine.

The video card driver is up to date and I have also installed the latest SATA drivers in the meantime.

Disabling the USB card reader device does not have any impact.

The installation of openSUSE 11.1 still crashes into a blue screen... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you attach the Mini Crash Dump (dmp) file I can try looking at it using the Debugging Tools for Windows and maybe see which driver caused the crash. I don't remember where WinXP x64 stores the dmp files though... somewhere under c:\windows Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
langerc
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the latest crash dump, as requested... Thanks...

0 Kudos
mikefvm
Contributor
Contributor

A bit of a necro post.

Any resolution to this issue? I am having the same problem (crash to blue screen with a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error) when trying to install openSUSE 11 as a guest os. Host os is WinXP-64 pro (dual proc) and I am using vmware player 2.0.1

I've tried setting the guest os as suse and other26xlinux-64. I also tried turning off all connected devices other than the DVD player.

The SUSE install gets to the

starting udev

Installing basic drivers...

section and then BOS

0 Kudos