VMware Communities
columbiasts1
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.0 Unrecoverable error (vcpu-0) Failed to lock page for guest RAM

I am running Workstation 6 on a Windows 2003 Server w/sp2 machine (virtual machine is also Windows 2003 Server Sp/2 with SQL 2005) and everything ran fine until about a week ago and now I keep getting the attached error. I have researched to forums and tried a few solution like changing the ide 1:0 to false but nothing seems to help. Usually I get the Blue Screen of Death after my machine has set for a few hours and I end up rebooting. I have run the mem test against it to make sure I dont have bad memory and everything shows it's fine. Has anyone figured out why the attached error occurs? I did fine one forum in the VMware site that described the same situation I have been encountering and it said they called VMware support and they resolved the issue but they never posted what the fix was.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if not already done, upgrade to 6.02 to ensure you're not hitting a known bug in 6.00

could you post some details on your host: RAM ? free RAM before and after starting the VM

please also post your VM config file (.vmx file)

0 Kudos
columbiasts1
Contributor
Contributor

I havent upgrade yet but I did find a feature in the BIOS that deals with "No Execute Technology" that runs a anti virus utility within the BIOS on on Intel processors. I have disbled that now and my machine has not crashed yet. It appears that this option comes enabled with Intel and disabled with AMD.

As for the RAM I am not sure what you were looking for other then it ias DDR2 RAM and I have 4 GB. 2 GB of the RAM is dedicated to the virtual and 2 GB to the host machine.

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The "No Execute Technology" is not an antivirus, it's an hardware feature of modern Intel & AMD CPUs to protect from malicious code.

It's related to Windows "DEP" : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

what you can do is edit your host windows boot.ini file and replace the "/noexecute=optout" by "/noexecute=AlwaysOff"

this will prevent windows from emulating the "No Execute Technology" by software means since you've disabled hardware support for this feature in the bios

concerning the RAM, I just wanted to be sure you did not allocated to much ram to your VM compared to the amount of ram on the host

0 Kudos